Cue/timeline based shows?

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
bart
Team Resolume

Re: Cue/timeline based shows?

Post by bart »

> This can’t be that hard to implement

:roll:

Yes we'd love to implement a timeline! Probably fairly similar to how Ableton Live and BitWig Studio do it. If it was easy and not much work we would have already done it. But it's NOT easy, for instance the timing needs to be spot on especially when it's also playing audio. And it's a LOT of work, just look at all the user interaction that is possible on a timeline in any video or audio software... We'll do it at one point though, I do not consider Arena done without it ;-)

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Grimm90 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 09:18 That its not timeline based and makes a mess with timed blanks.
Lets say on layer 1 column 1 there is a clip of 10mins.
At 5min, halfway that clip i need to to start a clip on layer 2 routed to a monitor via advanced output.
Either i got to start it at exact 5min or put it in column 2 with a 5min blank before.
If i put it in column 2, then i should bypass column trigger for layer 1 , as it will stop the clip playing there.
Clips have an option to Ignore Column trigger. Also empty clip slots.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Grimm90 »

bart wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 08:28 > This can’t be that hard to implement

:roll:

Yes we'd love to implement a timeline! Probably fairly similar to how Ableton Live and BitWig Studio do it. If it was easy and not much work we would have already done it. But it's NOT easy, for instance the timing needs to be spot on especially when it's also playing audio. And it's a LOT of work, just look at all the user interaction that is possible on a timeline in any video or audio software... We'll do it at one point though, I do not consider Arena done without it ;-)
That warms my cold pixel heart Bart <3

Captainflo22
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Captainflo22 »

Hey Bart, i hear timeline is not as easy as it look to make,
I would ask if maybe add in Clip/Group/Layer setting an evolution of the transition fader, by adding like a cue in a GrandMA, 4 optional parameters : Transition in/out and Trig Delay In/Out ?

This could help to improve column triggering with well done custom timing, that would be a great step and maybe open a way to consider how to make timeline a deal in the future

Full Spectrum
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Full Spectrum »

Just going to add my 2 cents on this discussion, as I have a counterpoint to what most people are saying here.

I think one of the strengths of Resolume is that it DOESN'T have a timeline mode. Every other software does, and the selling point of Resolume in live performance is that it embraces the philosophy that, unlike cinema, live performance has no timeline. It has moments. Sequences. Sometimes ones that are out of order.

I think the fundamental vision behind Resolume is strong and far superior to Watchout or D3. Why try and imitate what they're doing and do it worse? Do your own thing, better.

elby

Post by elby »

Captainflo22 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 01:07 Hey Bart, i hear timeline is not as easy as it look to make,
I would ask if maybe add in Clip/Group/Layer setting an evolution of the transition fader, by adding like a cue in a GrandMA, 4 optional parameters : Transition in/out and Trig Delay In/Out ?

This could help to improve column triggering with well done custom timing, that would be a great step and maybe open a way to consider how to make timeline a deal in the future
This : "4 optional parameters : Transition in/out and Trig Delay In/Out" on each clip would solve everything in my opinion.

Anexus
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Anexus »

+1 for Timeline mode, life would be easier...

Bassindaniel

Post by Bassindaniel »

Timeline mode will kill “Dataton whatchout” for good….

JDubs9000

Post by JDubs9000 »

The problem is that people for some reason are trying to use this software as a ballroom/corporate show playback server. Resolume really is not the best tool for this job in its current state. Millumin and Watchout are much better because of timelines. I know many different media servers and I just cringe when I have to run Resolume in a linear cue based environment that is anything beyond basic playback or serving baked cakes. For example, how do you use a custom rendered video transition to bridge two clips without it crossfading? It needs to cover up and switch clips on a specific frame. Can do this in a moment in Millumin or Watchout. Still can't figure it out in Resolume. If you know please tell me, I will forever be grateful.

It's great for the after party with the live band though. I often run millumin for the general sessions and then switch to Resolume for the party. Sometimes I have to use the clients gear which is almost always a windows pc and so I have to do everything in Resolume.

Intange

Post by Intange »

This is exactly what I use Resolume for Corporate/Ballroom stuff. I can do 12 2K outputs. The transition element you are talking about is totally doable. I use them all the time. I call them Alpha bumpers. They have to be on top of everything and exist everywhere on that layer, that way you can switch columns and everything below switches but the alpha bumper has its in and out. On the out it reveals whats switched underneath. Looks killer. Watchout sucks dude. I had to reprogram a whole show in Resolume because Watchout just couldnt handle it
1Canvas Media Servers.png
. 27000X1080 LED wall. The best thing about Resolume is that it is non linear. I seen too many server guys struggle when a change in order happens live, if you are linear u gotta scramble.