clip organization

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
ledwrench
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

clip organization

Post by ledwrench »

I'm looking for a way to organize clips after they've been converted with alley. I'd prefer to do it simply in a windows file explorer. Renaming and reorganizing in different files and folders. Anyone have a solution for this ? being able to see a preview would be key. I'm on windows. can I install the codec somewhere so windows will support this ?

Thanks All !

Mike

ceecrb1
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: clip organization

Post by ceecrb1 »

For codecs, I just made alley the default app for *.MOV file types and just use it as a viewer.

Other than that, I just sat down with a beer or few and just started making a folder structure that made sense for me.
It's the kind of thing that takes time but once done, is for life.

LunaSylum
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by LunaSylum »

Been struggling with this for almost a year now. I also prefer windows file explorer, since I can filter clips by tags and parameters, but find there's two big issues:
1) Getting thumbnails to show in Windows for DXV files is a pain, and so far I haven't been able to figure it out
2) I can't seem to work it into my flow to be constantly switching between windows, especially when I'd have to constantly cross-reference thumbnails and search for names. It's too inefficient, and next to impossible during a live gig.

Really wish the Resolume file viewer had the same/similar filtering capabilities.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Resolume file browser will search subfolders too, like here I have clips in a subfolder of the benchmark folder matching the search:
Képernyőfotó 2023-08-02 - 11.42.45.png
Képernyőfotó 2023-08-02 - 11.42.50.png
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

fhughes
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by fhughes »

The easiest way to organize clips after they've been converted with Alley is by using the built-in Renamer function. This allows you to change the file name and extension while keeping all metadata intact (including thumbnails).

fhughes

Post by fhughes »

I also prefer Windows File Explorer for organization of clips. One tip I have is to use tags in both Resolume and Alley for easy searching. For example, if you have a folder with multiple scenes called "Opening" in Resolume, add the tag "opening" in Alley and it will show up in your search results in Windows File Explorer.

Another tip is to create subfolders within your main project folder (e.g. "scenes") and put them into a structure that makes sense for you. This way, when you're searching for clips or making edits, you can quickly find what you need without having to navigate through multiple folders.

Good luck!

fhughes

Post by fhughes »

You could also try using the Resolume Browser and/or the new Project Manager in Alley to organize your clips. The browser allows you to group clips by folder or project, and then sort them alphabetically or by duration. The Project Manager lets you create folders for each project or sequence of clips, making it easier to keep track of changes and edits over time.
In terms of codecs, it depends on what format your files are in and what hardware/software you're using. Some formats like H.264 can be easily played back in Windows without additional codecs, while others may require third-party software or plugins to be installed.
Hope that helps!