Clips with audio jitter

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
rawdesigns
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Clips with audio jitter

Post by rawdesigns » Fri Mar 15, 2019 22:31

When I play clips with audio or timecode, especially large ones, playback is jittery. Looks like it skips a few frames and almost like stop motion. Once I remove audio it’s fine.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Clips with audio jitter

Post by Joris » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:49

When playing back an AV file, the audio engine decides when it's time to display the next frame. So the perceived fluidity of the playback depends entirely on what you have set up in your audio preferences. In particular, very high or very low buffer sizes on a default PC audio driver can be problematic, so it's best to avoid those.

PERCYJOSEPH
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by PERCYJOSEPH » Thu Mar 21, 2019 15:43

But Joris, we need to playback a lot of files with audio and specially for an award shows most of the files have audio in it and even i find it keeps jumping frames and looks awkward during the show. please suggest a way out or as you have suggested on the audio setting, please suggest what setting we need to use there.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris » Thu Mar 21, 2019 17:08

I'm not sure what you'd like me to say.

I was trying to explain to rawdesigns why AV playback is different from regular video playback, and give an indication on where he can start troubleshooting. His post didn't have any more info, so it's difficult to say anything else.

We regularly test sync and playback with AV files on a variety of machines. When using the default audio settings (which is 44.1 kHz sample rate and a 1024 bit buffer on most drivers), playback is no different from video playback.

If you are experiencing differently, there is something different about your setup and we have no way of knowing what that something could be. So I cannot say anything meaningful about it.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm not saying that the problem is your fault and I'm not saying that we don't want to fix it. But it is impossible for us to fix a problem that we don't see.