More UI colours

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: More UI colours

Post by Arvol »

Full Spectrum wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 04:30 I'll put my two cents in.

It's a disability issue.

My go to programmer/assistant is colorblind (deuteranopia), and the color labels are entirely useless for him. It's one less tool that we can use to create together. I respect that Resolume has a distinct color palette and brand identity, but functionality has to come first in any professional piece of software. It's not consumer software. It's an "artistic choice?" Nah. The users are the artists; be careful not to treat us like the audience.
Agree to disagree. Building software is an art as well (It's not ALWAYS about you), I prefer to treat the dev's and their choices with respect <3

VJH0
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by VJH0 »

Ah no way!!! Bart yes that looks amazing!!! That would be insane to see added!!

Means that I can seperate my Transition effects, Blind effects, FFT effects, Launch FX e.t.c, and indentify which is which with far more ease! I really think this will benefit the software massively!! Can't wait to see this added :D !!!

I think 6 colours is probably the minimum that can be added and be viable. It'd of course to be great to see more, but I will very happily take 6 colours! :)
If possible, it would be great to see some vibrant colours in there; for me a vibrant : Green, Red, Yellow, Blue, Orange, Purple, and Pink would be an amazing selection of eye catching colours : ) Thank you Bart!!

To add to Full Spectrums point: Yes I agree with what he is saying, and does feel like an important point.

Microsoft estimates that over 1 billion people in the world are considered disabled! Feels like a nice idea to try and make things more accessible where possible : )

My event partner is also colour blind! It would be great to be able to get him to take over for 5-10 minutes when I go for a quick smoke break! Obvioulsy I don't have hundreds of hours to teach him how to use the software; but I could certainly spare 5 hours to teach him a colour system!

Obviously there won't be many colour blind Visual Jockeys out there; but it feels like a nice inclusion to add a colour blind mode/ more colours to the UI.

Big Thx to all!!!

VJH0

Post by VJH0 »

Hello!

Was there any development with this?

I am unfortunately hitting a standstill with what I want to do with Resolume; as I am literally unable to seperate my effects quickly enough by simply reading! The software desperately needs to add more UI colours!

I have over 40 effects per layer and it is a nightmare!!

I really want to be able to push Resolume to the edges of what the software is capable of, and this simple issue is holding back the power of the software so much!

As powerful as Resolume is it still needs to be operated by a human! No matter how powerful my computers and controllers are, if I can't understand my layer effects and clips quickly enough; then it won't matter.

I myself am dyslexic so I really need visual coloured aids. I am sure there are many other VJ's out there who are too.

I think I speak for a lot of Visual Jockeys when I say we need more Visual aids within Resolume!

Written word for layer effects, is simply not good enough. Especially for a software literally built around colours and Visual design!!

I please need to know is there an upcoming ticket for this?
If there is no ticket can you please let me know so I can start redesigning sooner rather than later. I don't want to push on with what I am building, only to find out that it all needs to be redone months down the line.

Thank you for reading, sorry for the grumble, but this is a Resolume issue I feel passionately needs to be solved!

Big Thanks!

J

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

VJH0 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 05:02 Hello!

Was there any development with this?

I am unfortunately hitting a standstill with what I want to do with Resolume; as I am literally unable to seperate my effects quickly enough by simply reading! The software desperately needs to add more UI colours!

I have over 40 effects per layer and it is a nightmare!!

I really want to be able to push Resolume to the edges of what the software is capable of, and this simple issue is holding back the power of the software so much!

As powerful as Resolume is it still needs to be operated by a human! No matter how powerful my computers and controllers are, if I can't understand my layer effects and clips quickly enough; then it won't matter.

I myself am dyslexic so I really need visual coloured aids. I am sure there are many other VJ's out there who are too.

I think I speak for a lot of Visual Jockeys when I say we need more Visual aids within Resolume!

Written word for layer effects, is simply not good enough. Especially for a software literally built around colours and Visual design!!

I please need to know is there an upcoming ticket for this?
If there is no ticket can you please let me know so I can start redesigning sooner rather than later. I don't want to push on with what I am building, only to find out that it all needs to be redone months down the line.

Thank you for reading, sorry for the grumble, but this is a Resolume issue I feel passionately needs to be solved!

Big Thanks!

J
Why not use an external controller with feedback to help manage that vs using a UI window? A Streamdeck would be a quicker solution for you.

VJH0

Post by VJH0 »

Hello!

Yea so the controller I am currently using doesn't have MIDI feedback as it's a custom extension. We're planning to add it in the near future! I do agree that good MIDI feedback can help to negate this issue on a hardware level, but this is primarily a software issue, and not hardware.

Unfortunately a StreamDeck is an expensive bit of kit and imo a bit of a waste of money; you could build a custom thing for far less money. You could just use OSC!

I'll be looking at my layer effects panel on a seperate screen and using the MIDI to trigger them. Where I have many different types of effects (e.g. FFT, Transition, BPM e.t.c.) These need to be properly organised and stacked in the correct order.

Stacking effects also isn't going to work cronologically, so there needs to be a quick method of identification. Otherwise effects are going to interact with each other incorrectly! Especially when working with Auto masks and multiple Invert RBGs littered into each layer it gets confusing !!

If I know immediately what yellow effects mean, I can very quickly identify the purpose of that effect.
Whereas when they are all green it means literally nothing!

Trust me when I say I have tried every single possible workaround, and there isn't one! No matter how efficently you program your controller or no matter what controller you buy, is not going to fix this issue !

The only current way to fix this is to have a MASSIVE screen dedicated to ONLY my effects panel that is seated right next to me, which is obviously horrendosuly impractial and still not as good as just having the option of some extra U.I colours!!!!!

Plus also new hardware is expensive!!!

Thanks!

J

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

$200 for a 32 key streamdeck (and companion) is the gold standard in every corporate event across the globe. Even if you only work 1 corp gig a year, it's worth it's weight in gold. I'd say a good 65% of AAA level VJ's coming through my festival stages have the standard size streamdeck for their high profile gigs. Even the most expensive $200 hardware is cheaper than any MIDI controller you're going to get, but better yet, if you are already using 2 monitors (1 for FX) why not just use the free streamdeck emulator that comes with companion? It has a full color palette and will achieve exactly what you are after (and it's free) or just use a phone or tablet next to you if you don't have room for another monitor.
Just trying to provide some working solutions that are available right now :)

VJH0

Post by VJH0 »

No fair enough you do make some good points, I'm in the UK where the VJ is far less evolved so it's good to know where the industry is at! : D

I think $200 dollars is a bit much for me at the moment to be able to justify, but having a tablet could be a good shout so cheers I will have a good look into it and try that! I'll definitely have a good look at StreamDecks aswell and see if its something that could be a good investment!

But currently I would be more inclined to grab a keyboard and cover it in stickers to build my own stream deck for a 10th of the price, or if I were splashing the cash use OSC! Why pay a company when I could build my own for cheaper hahahahaha!

I basically (without giving too much away) already have basically have 74 'controllers' over 11 pieces of hardware and software, and am trying to build a setup where every single paramater I could need is pre-mapped so I never have to touch the mouse and keyboard over a performance.
(So I'm hoping to avoid having to buy any new controllers, as I already have more than enough lol)

My theory for this is that, if Resolume has given me the option of mapping it; I'm gunna map it!

My problem is just literal confusion keeping track of all of this hahhaha! It IS possible, and the results will be dope, but upgrading the U.I is the only way for this theory/ VJstyle.

To be honest I thought that U.I colours would be a no brainer to add and wouldn't require this much justification LoL.

I don't want to give up on this idea as it's been over a 2 year project but at the same time without more U.I options unless you are like a super genius is going to be such an uphill battle. I've definetely put about 2000 hours into this idea which is why I am so passionate about getting this added.

I can say out of all the issues I have had building this thing(and there's been quite a few, Resolume wasn't designed with this in mind granted hahahaha) this is the first actual dealbreaker that might stop this project from working.

I want to push Resolume to the brink of what its capable of in the name of making it a better software!

Hopefully the devs will reply and I pray include this in a coming update,

More U.I colours pleassssse!!!
( And with some vibrancy would be dope, just the current ones feel washed out) ( Also the option of changing the Text colour would be really cool to create contrasts to make the text super easy to read would be great!!) but I don't wanna push my luck, I'd happily take any colours right now hahahahaha

Big Thanks tho! I appreciate all the help and discord! : )

J

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

https://bitfocus.io/companion
If you haven't used this before, Def give it a spin. It's the way to go. The good thing about this software (and companion) is you can animate the LED's to change color, text, or image upon button press, and you can also use companion to trigger other companion builds on other machines (great for letting directors have control of each departments companion for larger events).
The instant feedback is what you'll like about it. and just use the tablet emulator built in and you're set.

VJH0

Post by VJH0 »

Hello!

Yeah nice one cheers man, that does look really dope tbf!

I've had a look and I just can't justify the money when the same thing can be achieved for a much lower budget. I'd like to get one at some point for sure! Hopefully in the near future but unlikley lol. Definitely a good bit of kit for anyone to have in the VJ inventory for sure!!

I will conclude with I've laid out soooooooo many logical and good reasons as to why U.I colours should be included. If they are not going to be then I can genuinely not think of a single good logical reason as to why they shouldn't be added!!

If it is because of a 'design choice' then I simply cannot accept that as a good reason; pardon my French, but that reason, is utter bollocks!

If it's for any other reason then I will accept it but be a dissapointed 'n' sad boi : (. But design choice nah I'm actually not having that at all hahahahahahah.

Big Thanks to all!!

J

ceecrb1

Post by ceecrb1 »

Specifically with alley please.
The black on black thing is just dumb af.
Attachments
wtf.png