Native support new Apple M1 Max chips

Bro, does your rig even lift?
livpas
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Native support new Apple M1 Max chips

Post by livpas »

A gtx1080 is the fastest I have around. I was looking at getting a faster laptop but took a chance with the Mac for improved portability. Performance seemed promising and it's consistently good. I wish I can see some RTX comparisons.

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by gpvillamil »

Yeah, I just got a MacBook Pro with the M1 Max chip, and my experience tracks with the other comments on this thread.

The benchmark comp at 4k on an external 4k display was giving me all 20 layers clean at 89 fps and 20 layers noise at 86 fps.

The striking thing is that there is virtually no fan noise, things barely get warm.

I'll do some more detailed benchmarks against a PC with an RTX 2070 later today.

My sense is that even running Resolume under Rosetta 2, this thing barely breaks a sweat. I can imagine that a native M1 build will be even more efficient.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

gpvillamil wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 20:54 Yeah, I just got a MacBook Pro with the M1 Max chip, and my experience tracks with the other comments on this thread.

The benchmark comp at 4k on an external 4k display was giving me all 20 layers clean at 89 fps and 20 layers noise at 86 fps.

The striking thing is that there is virtually no fan noise, things barely get warm.

I'll do some more detailed benchmarks against a PC with an RTX 2070 later today.

My sense is that even running Resolume under Rosetta 2, this thing barely breaks a sweat. I can imagine that a native M1 build will be even more efficient.
Do you have an actual 4K monitor connected as your output device? How well can it handle 2-3 4K@60 outputs while playing 6 layers of 4K? That seems to be the average test these days.

gpvillamil

Post by gpvillamil »

An MSI laptop running the 4k benchmark in identical conditions is cranking out

20 layers clean at 60fps
20 layers noise at 50fps

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz though currently "boosting" to 3.4GHz
32GB RAM
RTX 2070

Fans are going at almost full speed.

Granted this is a "slim" system where cooling is definitely a challenge.
gpvillamil wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 20:54 Yeah, I just got a MacBook Pro with the M1 Max chip, and my experience tracks with the other comments on this thread.

gpvillamil

Post by gpvillamil »

I'll give that a shot! We have a bunch of 4k monitors at work.
Arvol wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 01:04

Do you have an actual 4K monitor connected as your output device? How well can it handle 2-3 4K@60 outputs while playing 6 layers of 4K? That seems to be the average test these days.

_Ineffable_
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by _Ineffable_ »

So quite some time has passed since october, 2022 is here. How are we doing with the Natively M1 supported Resolume? I am eager to try it!
Yeah don't worry! I put it on autopilot!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

We're not there yet.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

gpvillamil

Post by gpvillamil »

FWIW optimization for M1 seems to make a big difference.

I ran the WebGL Aquarium test: https://webglsamples.org/aquarium/aquarium.html

1024 x 1024 resolution, 30 000 fish.

On an i7 PC with RTX 2070 using Google Chrome, easy 29-30 fps though with sporadic, brief drops to 13 fps (thanks Windows), about 30% CPU utilization

Same PC using Microsoft Edge, 33 fps with about 27% CPU utilization

On an M1 Max Macbook Pro using Google Chrome, steady 16 fps, about 20% CPU utilization

Same Macbook Pro, using Safari instead, solid 26 fps, about 13% CPU utilization

gpvillamil

Post by gpvillamil »

3x 4K outputs with 6 layers gives 40fps, 34% CPU utilization. This time the fan actually turned on.

I built a single large composition, and used slice transform to send each group of 6 layers to each screen. So 18 x 4k clips are playing.

The sense I get is that the CPU is certainly more powerful than a 6 core i7, both in absolute terms and per watt. The GPU does not get the same absolute performance as an RTX 2070 running full bore, but is certainly more efficient per watt.

I'd expect that a native port would perform pretty well.
IMG_2586.jpeg
Last edited by gpvillamil on Fri Jan 14, 2022 00:25, edited 1 time in total.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Nice work! I'm all about your test setup. Thank you for doing this <3