Shift button that changes clip trigger to preview while pressing

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Han
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Shift button that changes clip trigger to preview while pressing

Post by Han »

I wish me a button that changes the function of clip triggering to preview.
I know I can click the name of the clip to preview this.

When I map my APC40 I bring the clips to the button matrix for triggering.
But I also want to be able to preview with the matrix.
So I need this shift button.

At the moment I use the controller to run a show and my mouse for previewing.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Shift button that changes clip trigger to preview while pressing

Post by Arvol »

This would need to be done on your hardware. Some hardware will have modifier buttons that will shift from one config to another config by pressing a button. So your request is for hardware but Resolume is a software company, so I'm not sure what you're after here? I would map your "program" controls to one octave and your preview to another, so C#3 would be Program and C#2 would be preview, and then pressing a button on your hardware would change your hardware from the 3 octave to the 2 octave.

Han

Post by Han »

No. Its not a hardware thing.

I want the button in the software (that I can midi map).

When I toggle the button, a click on the clip thumbnail should preview the clip and not trigger.
When I toggle the button again, everything should be normal.

Think it would be a a nice safety feature too.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

I think this is a very nice idea
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Well we already have a place to click to preview the clip, so doing it twice is redundant, also this will probably cause more issues than anything with users forgetting they have a bool toggled. -1 for me.

Han

Post by Han »

A button in piano mode would also be finde.
You can push it on the keyboard/controller and you cycle while pushing through your clips.
This is much more comfortable than trying to hit the small name icon of the clip, especially when your sitting on front of a small laptop.

xienius
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by xienius »

I really, really love this idea... It would be super useful!

But I would implement it differently: I wouldn't make a new button for it as it would be confusing, dedicated and weird. I'd make it a MIDI shortcut feature: For every shortcut you could also set a condition – channel, note and velocity, which the note needs to be at for the shortcut to be active. If the condition is not met, the shortcut won't do anything. This would enable us to set the same MIDI button in two shortcuts with different conditions – here one for trigger (note D7 at 0) and one for preview (note D7 at 1). It would be super versatile and could be used for much more - think of buttons for cuepoints which could be set with SHIFT (D7) + button and recalled with button only etc. I'm adding an image of how this could be implemented in the UI.

We actually do have this feature with keyboard shortcuts, where it is possible to assign shortcuts like SHIFT + A, but sadly this is not currently possible with MIDI shortcuts :(
Attachments
UI.jpg
UI.jpg (30.33 KiB) Viewed 6532 times

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Yeah, just mapping your Program to a MIDI channel or octave and then mapping your preview's to the same note but different channel or different octave and then mapping one of your buttons (in your controllers software) to be a switch/shift is the way to do this.

xienius
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by xienius »

Arvol wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 05:19 and then mapping one of your buttons (in your controllers software) to be a switch/shift is the way to do this.
But how do you do that? I think that most controllers can't. I'm using the recommended AKAI APC40 Mk2 and I think there isn't even any software at all, if I haven't missed anything.

I also own Behringer X-Touch Compact for my lightning setup – it's software can remap buttons but there is no switch/shift feature. And the last one I have is Korg nanoKONTROL Studio for sound control, which does have editor software, but can only define scenes and it's pain to switch between them – definitely not usable for shift. I don't know anything about other controllers...

What controller do you use, which's software can do more advanced features like this? I think Resolume should handle the shift/condition check. And I think that most other pieces of software (like music DAWs) handle things like shift, banks and encoder modes themselves too, so controller manufacturers don't bother implementing those...

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

xienius wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 16:21
Arvol wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 05:19 and then mapping one of your buttons (in your controllers software) to be a switch/shift is the way to do this.
But how do you do that? I think that most controllers can't. I'm using the recommended AKAI APC40 Mk2 and I think there isn't even any software at all, if I haven't missed anything.

I also own Behringer X-Touch Compact for my lightning setup – it's software can remap buttons but there is no switch/shift feature. And the last one I have is Korg nanoKONTROL Studio for sound control, which does have editor software, but can only define scenes and it's pain to switch between them – definitely not usable for shift. I don't know anything about other controllers...

What controller do you use, which's software can do more advanced features like this? I think Resolume should handle the shift/condition check. And I think that most other pieces of software (like music DAWs) handle things like shift, banks and encoder modes themselves too, so controller manufacturers don't bother implementing those...
Quite literally every MIDI controller I have ever used LOL.
F1 / X1 (My current setup).
Launch Control XL
MIDI Fighter Twister / 3D
APC40 Mk II

You can also use Bomes or Chataigne for free, to remap any MIDI controller, to do this, if the MIDI controllers software can't do it natively.