Resolume Blow effect

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
headphonic
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Resolume Blow effect

Post by headphonic »

As a newbie, I dont know what the actual technique is called that the Blow effect in resolume uses and would like to know more about it. I very much want to create that effect in wire and have more control over it, so any info would be super helpful.

edwin
Team Resolume

Re: Resolume Blow effect

Post by edwin »

The Blow effect simply repeats the pixels based on the x, y coordinates.
It is quite simple to implement in a shader, i attached a Wire patch that implements a simple blow effect using an ISF node.

I'll have a look wether it can be done without a shader, because that would be even nicer.
Blow.zip
(2.89 KiB) Downloaded 417 times

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

It's all about playing around with UV coordinates.
I attached a patch that uses the UV Texture and UV Map nodes to implement a simple Blow effect.
The UV Map uses a UV Texture to determine where to sample the pixels. The red channel of the UV Texture determines the X coordinates and the green channel determines the Y coordinate.
By altering (in this case clamping) the red and green channels you can manipulate the x,y coordinates uses to sample the pixels.
BlowNoShader.zip
(2.26 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Blow.png

headphonic
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by headphonic »

wow....WOW!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this. Its funny cause ive been messing with ISF shaders alot recently (you guys should really promote that feature more) and i knew that would be an option, but was very much hoping for a native way to do it.

This is so helpful and I am gonna take this and run with it. Thanks!!!

corlian
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by corlian »

edwin wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 21:15 It's all about playing around with UV coordinates.
I attached a patch that uses the UV Texture and UV Map nodes to implement a simple Blow effect.
The UV Map uses a UV Texture to determine where to sample the pixels. The red channel of the UV Texture determines the X coordinates and the green channel determines the Y coordinate.
By altering (in this case clamping) the red and green channels you can manipulate the x,y coordinates uses to sample the pixels.

BlowNoShader.zip

Blow.png

Edwin, would you know how to pull this off live? Presumably with an ISF?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cxib3gdM ... BiNWFlZA==

Where the Blow effect is radial, yet the sampled coordinates are the edges of an image regardless of shape.

This ISF does the simple radial Blow without the cool edge sampling:

https://editor.isf.video/shaders/159

I assume instead of using a circle shape (or solid line etc), you'd somehow mask a shape onto itself for the sample coordinates?

Curious your thoughts, thanks!

tijnisfijn
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by tijnisfijn »

This was a fun one. I was trying to come up with a solution, and I came up with this. It's not really a blow effect, but it can makes similar effects though. And it really a nice fx on it own. I used a feedback to get the fx. I will include the patch, and also a compiled version for Arena (.cwired) for all of you that don't have wire... Enjoy
Attachments
Blow Shape by Tijn.wire
(90.83 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Blow Shape by Tijn.cwired
(732.32 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 15.32.13.png

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Here is my version, faking it a bit but looks quite convincing:

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 16.44.33.png