Random (?) FPS dropping

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
grizal
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Random (?) FPS dropping

Post by grizal »

Hi everyone !

I experienced some framerate problems for a show i performed. Unconstantly, the framerate drop down, and some issues appared (video lags, important delay on OSC triggers...). During a while, some effects and clip lags, loading a new deck is difficult and the software seems to be unstable (sometimes crashs) and finally everything become normal after a random periode of 10-30 min...

It's a theater show so i play it always in the same way and i had no issues during the 50+ first performances !

It's a 1080p composition, with only one output, all clips are in DXV, and i run TouchDesigner aside for some specific effects (sent in resolume by syphon). My machine is a MacBookPro 2018 i7 2,6Ghz with Radeon 560X and 16 Go of RAM. I'm on Resolume 7.7 and BigSur 11.6.7.

Do you have a idea to of reasearch to find an answer to my problem ?
Do you thing it can be thermal throtting ? (For now, it happens only during summer)

I have also a strange situation : if i restart my computer just before loading Resolume the GPU usage during the show remains between 30% and 50% ; but, if my computer is always started when i load Resolume, the GPU reach 100% during all the show. I don't notice some issues with this configuration but i don't understand what's going one !

Thank you for your help !

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Random (?) FPS dropping

Post by Zoltán »

grizal wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:58 Do you have a idea to of reasearch to find an answer to my problem ?
What changed on the machine after the 50 shows?

Do you thing it can be thermal throtting ? (For now, it happens only during summer)
could be, when was the last time you cleaned the fans?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Matt Daniels
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Random (?) FPS dropping

Post by Matt Daniels »

Sounds like throttling to me.
I recently was doing a show all was fine but once the venue filled with people I started getting those exact symptoms. Swapping in and out ice cold beer cans as heat syncs was my bandaid fix. - It got me through the night.