Wire Variable Step Delay with Composite Mode

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Kluge
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Wire Variable Step Delay with Composite Mode

Post by Kluge »

Hey there -- digging into Wire to create some custom delay effects. I found a couple on the forum that have gotten me close to what I want to do but developing them further is tricky.

Here is the effect I am using as a starting place : --begin-wire-patch--
768.3oc4W89iZBCF9ekk9Y5BzVDvug.lrOsjskrjY7CbRUaF1Zfx7tbg+22aAQwImddYKalkKoWs482OO7129LZgRJ4KzBkrDMd1ynkEpMvFhERUo2VosQysPZEbjiERHgSPyqsNHG6b4nVFipSERdw0j0cHa5btbrWxl1cx1WzejlWwOQL54ljr20vI0vYRUFGp.OirMKoZcg3gJc6QBYoNUtn8G5m1xQiQxpMO.wRmyF6TWagdPUIyZjZMWrZsFM1GbyNQldMHAEB1GQiG48dHseBMlRfcfVKxSKa8SFXXOuQAdjQt3IjPBlE4Dg8iXQXRfiarmeTjeRfws7hR.zPisarfZw2Ac+gHiqPM0JSDq2G8lxywHWyeTWUvIYGCdYUdtI9WKxx3fMm0gJPcIciQouzpz69fDAx4LTMBT.25hitx7uCdommqsdUEUpI4JWjlyuhkWlqR0DzvXPSguCDBba.ApOaOJLx9hnP.g3hY11A3fXRL1cpe...rnHJ8lPAHUWqJ5kA6C4C4vLfKaO25tZcds0qgdMyvur9WawD7EJcptA.OEW5E6Pd9V+adG68hvtikCTNumVM4ktHUVlOXw6tmT2uSXuVflLdopXio6E47NfPtu6zRwtdcnJEqjo4ntOXr+CzpbvleC16yceuOWRvk58wljjfY9zo3foDeryjP2oDGm.Z7ja+FH66ydDCyEh44oOYfF547fCCpfyDa3xx1QqNj68N7XxSa5UbTyafb75ncCxMb8u.2fQuH2HzKNFlNIfgCFk.2K5DlP8B+VR3nvahabbrt6zqPTKWVx6eAnPp4qNazvAHQedsXo1.gr+5jHgLi+3M3JiiZ1+lz4FBrcEoa2Jjq5INLGkXQeE9DeKGtx95CfeFG+JSf+KbbVHKj54N5+ONdC83RTb65Cauo2Yb7iguVHzbCh691d+0Kc+2IO.izf+dAzt6+rYW7EXIIgXVL0G6mj3hsSlDxhlDaGlj769EX2WW+08ZvOV09YWAuTUUzBP00+DvHEKSr
--end-wire-patch--

A couple things I am trying to do to amend it is
1. Be able to composite the frames -- I am able to do this with a video mixer in the delay loop, with the original video plugged in to it as well. I have to turn the opacity to 50 or below for it to work even though its not in a "50" blend mode so kind of confusing and assuming hacky.
2. Increase the step size between the frames. I tried to add an additional shift in the feedback loop but that gave me weird errors. I also tried copying the entire chain again but just to see if it would work but it didn't, and Im sure there is a better way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Here is the patch as it currently stands :

MarkyMark
Team Resolume

Re: Wire Variable Step Delay with Composite Mode

Post by MarkyMark »

Hey Kluge,

Few thoughts on your patch:

The entire patch can be replaced by a single node: The Ring Buffer.
The Ring Buffer will buffer an X-amount of frames equal to the size set in the inspector.
The buffer works like a queue.

The result is an collection of textures where you can read from.
With a sequence and a read node you will be able to cherry pick which frames to display.

As for blending the textures, I would simply use the multiply node and multiply each texture like that.

Kluge

Post by Kluge »

Thanks for the reply Mark,

Cool that makes sense. I think I've been misunderstanding the the ring buffer but will go that route.

Kluge

Post by Kluge »

One other thing ---

I would like to do this in a concise way.....if I am for instance using a screen or max blend node, do I have to extract each texture individually and create a blend between each texture like that? So if I want to have 30 frames of delay all composited together, I have to manually create 30 read nodes to get access to each to texture to blend them?

MarkyMark
Team Resolume

Post by MarkyMark »

There are many ways to do that.

You could use the Split node to split the collection of frames up into indiviual channels and mix them how you see fit.

My personal approch would be Ringbuffer -> Average -> Video Mixer (mixing it with the original signal).

You could also use Sequence -> Read + Ringbuffer > Read to read frames every X-frames (a delay with intervals).

There is also the Merge node which has alpha blend and add as modes.
Attachments
Capture.PNG