Datapath FX4 Alternatives

Bro, does your rig even lift?
rolandmc
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Datapath FX4 Alternatives

Post by rolandmc »

Can anybody recommend a good Datapath FX4 Alternative? I really like the FX4, but I'm wondering if there's anything available that's a bit more flexible? One night I might need SDI outputs, the next HDMI, etc. With Datapath, I have to have separate units for each flavor... Are there any good alternatives that can offer multiple styles of outputs at the same time, or have the ability to "swap out" the kind of outputs that you need?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Datapath FX4 Alternatives

Post by Arvol »

Not that I know of. It's one or the other. Adding converters in-line also defeats the purpose.

rolandmc

Post by rolandmc »

Does it make sense to just have an FX4 with HDMI outputs and four Blackmagic HDMI to SDI converters? Or am I asking for trouble here? Would that mess up the synced outputs of the FX4?

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

The outputs share a clock, once you send it through any converter it gets reclocked. So that would defeat the purpose. What are you connecting to each show? PJ's or LED? Are you with an artist with the ability to advance gear? If so, just advance the same gear for each show and use 1 product. If you can't do that, have your artist invest into 2 pieces of equiptment to ensure their show goes off without a hitch.

rolandmc

Post by rolandmc »

I'm really looking for a catchall solution for multiple different clients. Some are artists, some are film shoots, some are TV shows. It's 50/50 whether I run into needing SDI outputs or HDMI outputs.... So I guess two units it is!

Thank you

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

100% 2 units if it is you trying to sell the build and also have to tech it. Just buy 2 units and bill for 2 units on rental. That way you don't loose out on an opprotuniuty. AJA makes a box that is a bit cheaper but it doesn't have both flavors. It also doesn't have any advance featiures, it's just an in>out. So if those features are not important to you, you could save a little $$ that way by getting the AJA flavor for one and the FX4 for the other flavor.