Control Dummy Parameters for DMX

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
nickjones26
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Control Dummy Parameters for DMX

Post by nickjones26 »

Hi there,

I'm new to using DMX in Arena and am loving the possibilities. I used to do everything with a DMXIS and want to translate to Resolume if possible.

How do I control the dummy parameters? Is it possible? I just want to send a value to the lights to make them strobe for example.

My experiment is with a slimpar simple LED and with 3 channel it's lovely but when I want to do things like use the internal strobe feature or move to moving lights how can I control those other "dummy" parameters? Is it possible?

How can I get the signal to the fixture for the non RGB channels. In this case channel 5 of 7.

nickjones26

Re: Control Dummy Parameters for DMX

Post by nickjones26 »

Ok I figured the first part of this out I think.

Is it possible to have a clip target a channel though instead of wasting a whole layer on it? For example in my slimpar situation I have it set to 7 channel DMX but then for the fixture in Resolume I've made it 3 channels and then channel 5 is the strobe as a white solid luminescence channel and channel 7 is the dimmer in the 7 channel setup so I have that one just on and all the way up.

It appears that if I have it jimmied in 7 channel DMX that channel 7 is getting signal from the 1 2 and 3 channels even though I'm not directly sending that which seems strange.

Anyway I feel much better now that I at least have a workaround but still I'm wondering if there's a way to send to a DMX address directly from a clip.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

You can choose a layer or group as the input of the DMX fixtures.
I'd make an RGB fixture for my color, then a separate L type fixture (with gamma set to 1) for the other functions.
Then sending a white /grey solid to the L fixture will send out the luminance value form the solid. By controlling the layer or clip opacity you'll get a different output.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

nickjones26

Post by nickjones26 »

Thanks! It totally worked and was amazing. Really I'm only doing a tilt moving light for now.

nickjones26

Post by nickjones26 »

The issue I'm having now (super basic question I can't seem to find the answer to) is how to make sure if I'm sending a solid color to just the lights that it doesn't cover up my video? I'm so very close to figuring this out but definitely could use some pointers on how I can make a layer NOT go to the composition and only to the fixture.

I'm only using 1 1920 x 1080 projector in this current setup and not slicing anything.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

set layer opacity to 0, and then check the ignore opacity in the slice settings
https://resolume.com/support/en/slice-routing
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

nickjones26

Post by nickjones26 »

Thanks! I think I did it a wrong way but this looks like a better way to do it and will definitely bookmark the link.