How to use Entrancer to control Resolume (solved!)

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

How to use Entrancer to control Resolume (solved!)

Post by gpvillamil »

Right, I recently got the Entrancer working as a MIDI controller with Resolume. As you may know, the Entrancer has a touch pad which returns the X and Y axis position as MIDI faders. Also the FX balance knob and a few other controllers are sent.

I wanted to use the Entrancer to control Inside-Us-All's Scanner effect overlaid on a live feed, using the touchpad to move the zoom area.

However, a couple of things are a bit difficult. First, the touchpad sends X and Y signals together most of the time, so it is difficult to assign the Y axis in apps that just "listen" for a signal. (The app will just catch the X signal). Second, the Y axis is sent "inverted" ie the 0 position is in the lower left hand corner, some apps use a coordinate system where 0 is in the upper left.

Here is how I solved everything and used the Entrancer to control Resolume.

You will need to download a program called MIDIOX from midiox.com, also get the MIDI Yoke driver while you're at it, and install both.

To train Resolume on the Y axis, do this. Start Resolume *without* MIDIOX running. Turn on the Entrancer. Enter MIDI program mode on the Entrancer by pressing Function + Sample2 keys. Top row of buttons should light up. Turn off all of the except #5. This basically disables all MIDI messages except the Y axis controller. In Resolume, go to the MIDI preferences, select the parameter you want to assign, double click it, then touch the Entrancer. You should see controller number 13 assigned. On the Entrancer, re-enter MIDI program mode, and turn on all the lights again. You can now teach Resolume the X axis (CC#12) and the FX Balance knob (CC#94).

Next problem, changing the sense of the Y axis. You do this by remapping the controller using MIDIOX.

Generally only one program at a time can open the MIDI ports, so you need to create a "virtual" port using the MIDI Yoke driver. I assume you've already installed the MIDI Yoke driver. (Instructions are on the MIDIOX website).

So:

1) Open MIDIOX
2) Go to Options/MIDI Devices
3) You should see your "real" MIDI devices in the input box, and a bunch of MIDI Yoke devices in the output box.
4) Select your input devices in the input box, and MIDI Yoke #1 in the output box
5) Click OK (you might want to save the config as a profile)
6) Next, go to Options/Data Mapping
7) Click Insert
8) Leave Channel as "Any"
9) Make Event Type "Ctrl"
10) Ctrl # Min and Max = 13 (for Entrancer Y axis)
11) Amount Min = 0 and Max = 127
12) On the Output line, leave all as is except for Amount, make Min = 127 and Max = 0
13) Click OK
14) In the main mapping dialog, select "Turn Map On (after OK)"
15) Press OK
16) In Resolume, go to the MIDI preferences, the last tab, and deselect all MIDI devices except MIDI Yoke 1 (MIDIOX is routing your real MIDI devices to this virtual port)
17) Everything should be working - I was able to get the Scanner effect to work perfectly like this

Many thanks to all who helped out, here and on the MIDIOX boards.

It's lots of fun. Enjoy.

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by gpvillamil »

Oh, two quick points:

1) MIDIOX should be running to link the MIDI device to the MIDI Yoke port
2) Set the Entrancer to its Audio mode if you don't want to effect the video (though it can be cool to change the Resolume and Entrancer effect at once).

Sense
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Sense »

Can you send a video example :P

nz / Sense