Slice Transform effect with rendering to every slice

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
Grandmaster2000
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Slice Transform effect with rendering to every slice

Post by Grandmaster2000 »

Hi,
I just got started with FFGL Plugin development and I created a super basic source that creates a border for the screen. I applied the slice transform effect to it because I wanted every slice to have this border and noticed that it doesn't render my source for every slice but just copies and transforms it for every slice. My problem there is that this is a projection mapping with multiple slices with different aspect ratio.

As this could be useful for multiple sources and effects I would like to know if there is a way to render a Clip and all of the effects applied to it for every slice?

I would also create an FFGL effect that does this by myself but I don't know if this is possible at all since I don't know if there is a way to access the whole effect chain of a clip so I can tell it to render for every slice.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Slice Transform effect with rendering to every slice

Post by Zoltán »

The issue is that you can't get the borders the same width, right?

Indeed, Slice transform takes the input texture which was already rendered by the plugin, and transforms that into the shape and position of the slice(s).

A source plugin is only rendered once in a single clip, but you can have multiple instances of the plugin in different clip slots, with different slices.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Grandmaster2000
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Grandmaster2000 »

thanks for your answer. I changed my plugin so that it does that automatically where I ran into another problem: Where can I get information about the slices? I need the xy coordinate, width, height and rotation.
I saw some 3rd party plugins also working with slices but I don't know how they get the information in the plugin.

My first idea would be to use the xml file where Resolume saves my Output Settings. I didn't find classes in the FFGL git project that can do that for me.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

There is no supported way for FFGL plugins to read Slice data natively in Resolume.
Third party plugins, like Chaser, get the info from the Advanced output settings directly on disk. Settings for the active preset are stored in Documents/Resolume Arena/preferences/AdvancedOutput.xml
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

The ffgl you are wanting to build already exists. it's a source that comes with chaser called outliner.
As Zoltan already mentioned the only way to get the info you are wanting is to parse the xml of the advanced output. I did this in my app called tracer and it's really not too hard to do, you need to brush up on your trig if you want to play with rotations though ;)