Footage FPS

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Footage FPS

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

Any way to get these prerendered at 30fps as well as 25fps?

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Re: Footage FPS

Post by cosmowe »

Hi Dirtyjohn,
for a save way I would suggest you to convert the 30 fps clips into PNG/Tiff sequences with obviously 30 PNG's/Tiff's ect. per second...after that your can convert the picture sequences to 25 fps clips.
If your result clips are longer than the source clips...it might worked :)

Greetings
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

dirtyjohn_lv

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

I already do a bunch of conversion to get them to 30fps, would just be handy to already have it done ;)

I imagine some of the stuttering playback issues come from people downloading clips from the site and expecting them to playback smoothly, not realizing their refresh is different.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Interestingly enough, we've discussed switching to 30 fps as a default standard for the footage shop just last week. It's going to take a while to make the transition, but it should be the new standard.

It just makes a lot more sense for digital performance to run at 30 fps because most outputs tend to refresh at 60hz.

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

Joris wrote:It just makes a lot more sense for digital performance to run at 30 fps because most outputs tend to refresh at 60hz.
I apologize that I have to disagree with this statement. All corporate jobs I've done in Germany so far ran at a 50Hz refresh-rate. The main Show-parts mostly are done with a media server system like pandoras box or watchout ..ect...and the aftershow parts with Resolume. All those systems have to run @ 50Hz because of all the TV cameras on these events which are running @ 1080i50. Beside this fact the VJs often plug their video-outs @ corporate events onto the video directing unit which obviously also have to run @ 50Hz.

Why not offering both 25&30fps clips ?

Greetings
cosmowe

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Good point and thanks for chiming in!

Offering both is not an option. People already complain the downloads are too big, because they think they need to download both the Pjpeg and DXV versions.

It would be easier to re-render 30 to 25 than the other way around, right?

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

Hi Joris,
you already wrote it down: because they think.
Joris wrote:Offering both is not an option. People already complain the downloads are too big, because they think they need to download both the Pjpeg and DXV versions.
It may be a solution to redesign the download section just a little bit so even people who are not that familiar with fps'ses & videocodecs know what to download. :roll:

How it looks right now:
Joris wrote: It would be easier to re-render 30 to 25 than the other way around, right?
I think it makes no difference in easyness...but not everybody can do this kind of conversion right.
It's not that easy many people think it is I guess.
Which company do you think will hear things like "your shopclips stutters more than others" first? ;)

Most of the people who think that the downloads are to big because they downloaded every offered link under their purchases will not be able to convert the clips to a suitable fps right. I think you know what I'm tiring to say?

Greetings
cosmowe
Last edited by cosmowe on Mon Apr 14, 2014 16:08, edited 2 times in total.

dirtyjohn_lv

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

Cosmowe,

Everything runs at 50Hz because you're in Germany.

It's all power based. Most countries that use 220-240V for power devices refresh at 50Hz (Europe and Africa and Mid-East)

USA/South America and Asia use 110-120V for power so everything refreshes at 60Hz.

Maybe separate downloads by region, still viewable by everyone?

Joris

Post by Joris »

Which company do you think will hear things like "your shopclips stutters more than others" first? ;)
Ouch. Right where it hurts ;)

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

:D