Resize

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Arvol
Might as well join the team

Resize

Post by Arvol »

Using the diagonal arrow button on a clip does a quick Resize that I use a lot (and love). Would it be a bad idea to have it do the Resize to the Layer size vs the comp size? I was building a show out and I was trying to keep my texture sizes to a min (lots of layers) so my layer might be 200px X 100px, so I was trying to scale my 720p content to fit the layer, but when I hit the button, it resizes to the Comp size (4K).
Would having it go off the layer size be silly or counter intuitive?
And changing a video clip from 720p to a width and height of 200x100 be beneficial or is it still loading the 720p texture into memory and then just applying a scale to it? (I'm not using the Scale param under Transform, but I'm using the Width and Height param under the file size at the top). Just trying to find ways to squeeze every bit of optimization out of this comp.

Thanks

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Resize

Post by Zoltán »

Try using the Auto Size on the layer, that will save you a lot of clicking on the clips ;)

The clip needs to be decoded in the original resolution, then that texture is fitted to the layer size using the selected scale method.
If you play a 200x100 clip in a 200x100 layer, that's the most efficient.

If you set the composition to 200x100, make the clip fit the composition, and render it, you get a 200x100 render. You can use this to replace the 720p file.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Gotcha.

So bringing in a 720p clip and doing Any of the following will result in the same amount of resources being used (more or less):
Scaling it down with Transform on the Clip/Layer/Group/Comp level,
Re-Sizing on the Clip/Layer/Group/Comp level (Width x Height),
Adding a Slice Transform to fit it to a size on the Clip/Layer/Group/Comp level.

Sounds like Resolume is still going to process it at 720p and anything after that is just different ways to achieve the same look.

So to really optimize things, I should Re-Size it in Resolume, Render it to a file and then replace the original file and remove any additional scaling that may have been applied in Resolume. This way it loads the 200px X 100px texture vs the 720p texture.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Arvol wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 16:34 Scaling it down with Transform on the Clip/Layer/Group/Comp level,
This will still keep texture sizes at the layer/composition size.
If you scale down into a smaller size layer, that will reduce the texture size, a bit less processing.
Arvol wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 16:34 Adding a Slice Transform to fit it to a size on the Clip/Layer/Group/Comp level.
Slice transform just transforms/crops the texture before placing it into a layer/composition sized canvas. Again no performance gains.
Arvol wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 16:34 I should Re-Size it in Resolume, Render it to a file and then replace the original file and remove any additional scaling that may have been applied in Resolume. This way it loads the 200px X 100px texture vs the 720p texture.
Yes, and play it in a 200x100 layer.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Copy that. Thanks for the explanation :)