NVIDIA GTX1080

Bro, does your rig even lift?
lightbx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

NVIDIA GTX1080

Post by lightbx »

NVIDIA has announced the GTX1080, their newest GPU in the GeForce series, purported to be faster and more powerful than the TITAN X and even two 980ti's in SLI.

Some major factors:
- new Pascal architecture
- smaller/lighter/cooler
- 3x Displayport 1.4 supports 8K@60Hz each or 4K@120Hz each (If only there were a Datapath dL8-type unit that could split one 8K display into eight 1080p)

I wanna put this in a Resolume PC, but don't wanna be the first to benchmark :D but I may have to...

Here are the specs, part of a bigger, pretty fair review of the card:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/ ... 80-review/

Anyone else interested in this card? Developers, planning on picking one up for a benchmark? The Titan X is sort of the gold standard for gaming (and Resolume SCREAMS on it), so if the king is to be de-throned...I wanna be in on the coup.

GPU experts, does this seem promising? New architecture probably makes the specs hard to compare, but I only know so much...

Sadler

Re: NVIDIA GTX1080

Post by Sadler »

I found this video puts it into context very well...

phpBB [video]

I'm currently with 970 (3.5gb) and thinking about it. As a normal person I wasn't too bothered having a leading edge graphics card but Resolume has turned me into a GPU whore. While all dem cuda cores won't help a heap with Resolume they would with shaders and, the 8gb of 5x vram might be useful in certain situations (caching decks?).

Ladin

Post by Ladin »

I don´t know how it will perform in 8K, but I thing - nothing special. By benchmarks in games it´s slightly faster than Titan.. If you look to resolume benchmarks, how performs Titan in 4K (about 10 -12 layers in 4K /30fps), i believe, that it won´t be so hot.. If you will compare GTX 970 in games with Titan X and then their performance in 4K resolume (there is almost zero gain in performance between these cards) there should be some extra boost from new archiitecture to go with 1080 and not 980ti, wich will be cheaper I guess..

Edit:
Maybe I´m completely wrong, but isn´t reason, that GTX 970 and Titan X performs almost identically, that the Resolume is 32bit application and can´t addres more, than 3,5 (4) gigs of VRAM? So the Titan (and 980ti) can´t benefit from higher amount of videomemory?
If I´m right, the 1080 should be slightly faster in Resolume than GTX 9xx, only because of higher speeds of core and memory.. I have to say, that i don´t want to be right (need to drive more and more outputs) But it is a question on guys from Resolume band..

lightbx

Post by lightbx »

Ladin wrote:If you look to resolume benchmarks, how performs Titan in 4K (about 10 -12 layers in 4K /30fps), i believe, that it won´t be so hot.. If you will compare GTX 970 in games with Titan X and then their performance in 4K resolume (there is almost zero gain in performance between these cards)
Are you saying that the Titan X performs noticeably better while gaming, but not with Resolume? I have had in-depth experience with both Titan X and GTX970 in Resolume (in professional settings) and I can tell you that the Titan indeed performs better. I could stay above 30fps while running more layers on a larger canvas. I think it is harder to tell when people are mostly pushing a 4K texture to a 1080p output, but when pushing 8600 x 1200 out to 5 WUXGA projectors, blended and mapped, we were glad we upgraded to the Titan X.
Ladin wrote:Maybe I´m completely wrong, but isn´t reason, that GTX 970 and Titan X performs almost identically, that the Resolume is 32bit application and can´t addres more, than 3,5 (4) gigs of VRAM? So the Titan (and 980ti) can´t benefit from higher amount of videomemory?
I was under the impression that Resolume (being 32-bit) maxes out at 4GB of CPU RAM, not VRAM, and that since Resolume does ALL its rendering on the GPU, it makes sense to get a GPU with the most VRAM possible (at least in the GeForce series––the Quadro drivers seem to limit the GPU at 4GB of VRAM––I tested this using NVIDIA's GPU Monitor with an M6000, which has 12GB of VRAM, and after running more and more layers the usage plateaus at 33% or 4GB).

Can we get a developer to confirm some of this?

Also, I hope this can soon become a thread where users brag about the discounts they got for their new Titan X's 8-)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Can we get a developer to confirm some of this?
The answer is somewhere in the middle.

As long as you're running a 64 bit OS, you can access more than 4GB of VRAM, even if the app accessing it is still 32 bit. Skyrim is 32 bit and can access more than 4GB VRAM.

The line becomes blurrier because textures stored in VRAM are also swapped with the system RAM. This happens when the GPU doesn't need the texture right this instant, but thinks it might need it later. We do a lot of work under the hood to optimise this and to have as little swapping as possible. In general, this stuff gets really complicated really quick, and the way OpenGL does its memory management is really obscure.

So the answer really is yes, you can use more than 4GB VRAM on Resolume and you will definitely benefit from more VRAM, but yes, you are also affected by the 32 bit limitation.

hive8
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by hive8 »

I am def picking up a couple of those 1080 for sure :)
HIVE 8 | Quantum Laser | http://www.hive8.com

Programfeed

Post by Programfeed »

Any idea how long it usually takes for new cards to become available through vendors like MSI, ASUS, etc? I was about to throw down on a Windows machine before the announcement, but it seems like a significant architecture upgrade worth waiting for.

hive8
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by hive8 »

they said May 27th, so i would guess no more then 1 to 2 weeks after that date cards should be available no problem.
HIVE 8 | Quantum Laser | http://www.hive8.com

Digi

Post by Digi »

Since Sli or 2 cards don't work well with Resolume I'm really looking forward to the 1080's from evga.
The benchmarks from reviewers appears to be close to 980's in sli. But it's all theoretical for Resolume since it never supported sli to begin with to draw a comparison.