wave warp plugin issue

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
pleasuretek
Is taking Resolume on a second date

wave warp plugin issue

Post by pleasuretek »

So have been really putting avenue through long tests recently. You have a really stable app. It can go all night. The only issue I have noticed so far is a possible memory leak in the wave warp plugin. When enabled memory usage for resolume steadily goes up until it hits around 2GB and resolume3 crashes. When you disable effect via bypass button memory usage stops going up but doesn't go down, removing the effect from the effect chain doesn't release memory either.

I am running the effect under win7x64 resolume 3.2.0.
effect settings are:
blend: difference;
opacity:50%;
h:50;
w:95;
angle:extenal fft;
speed:0;
pin edges?: checked;

I can recreate this again and again, resolume crashes after about 20-30min with this effect enabled, watching memory usage go up quickly as soon as this effect is enabled, other effects cause little memory usage. sitting here watching it go up until OS freaks out is boring->Avenue.exe*32 is using 1,310,500K and rising.... at least Im on the Oregon coast right up on a bench overlooking the waves as the tide comes in about 40ft below.. And Avenue crashed at 1,772,384K load.

clips were 640x480 picVideo codec, each about 1min length. without wave warp its about 500,000K load.
Asus build - intel 2.8GHz T9600, 4GB 800Mhz DDR2, ATI 4670
Rack unit - intel 2.7GHz q6600, 8GB 1066Mhz DDR2, 9800GTX+, intensity HDMI input card

bart
Team Resolume

Re: wave warp plugin issue

Post by bart »

Interesting! We'll pass this on to Matias so he can have a look.

funkyant

Post by funkyant »

Same problem here with the demo.

Shame - Wave is a wicked plugin.

dep

Post by dep »

really weird - i'm unable to reproduce this on my machine (windows xp). after >12 hours, the memory consumption is still the same as when i started avenue (around 120 000 k).

anyway, i'm on it! :geek:
funkyant wrote:Same problem here with the demo.
what platform are you on?

pleasuretek

Post by pleasuretek »

windows 7 x64 Professional, ATI mobility 4670, is the system that has this issue. I just got home from a retreat at the coast, so I have access to other machines to test, I will test on my XP machine w/ nvidia gpu.
Rack unit - intel 2.7GHz q6600, 8GB 1066Mhz DDR2, 9800GTX+, intensity HDMI input card

dep

Post by dep »

pleasuretek wrote:windows 7 x64 Professional, ATI mobility 4670, is the system that has this issue. I just got home from a retreat at the coast, so I have access to other machines to test, I will test on my XP machine w/ nvidia gpu.
thanks, much appreciated :)

funkyant

Post by funkyant »

Win 7 x64

Clean OS with only Resolume, TZT and Arkaos Installed. Arkaos soon to be gone once I buy Resolume and set up my shows in it ;)

Hardware:

ASUS P6X58D Premium Mobo
Intel i7 950
6Gb DDR3 2000MHz
ATI 5850 GFX
2 x OCZ Vertex SSD Raid 0

pleasuretek

Post by pleasuretek »

OK.. so windowsXP sp3, AMD athalonx2 5600+, nVidia 9800GT+.. and still same(very similar) memory leak. this machine is the epitome of opposite build from my intel/ATI/x64-7 build.

My tests today were as follows:
turn on XP machine;
download res3.2 /install res3.2;
reboot machine;
open taskManager (find avenue.exe and watch memUsage);
start res3.2;
new composistion;
memUsage=53,xxxK (oh I like that, thanks bart/edwin/the rest of the team);

Loaded 2 640x480 picVideoMJPEG clips 30fps;
memUsage = 68,xxxK ;

add wave warp to compositionEffects;
memUsage increases steadily until it hits about 80,xxxK and stops;

this just means the OS is catching the leak and releasing memory (or re-allocating out-of-scope registers to same process).

I could give the code a look through see if I can catch it. I program C++ as dayjob, and have been messing around with FFGL in some free time on weekends, but nothing super cool yet (I spend most freetime porting shaders from different games to VVVV). I am very proficient in heap dynamic memory allocation (which is my guess (w/o ever seeing code) to cause of issue).. ie if you declare:

Code: Select all

Type* customType = new Type;
*customType = typeSubclassInstance;
then you can set the value held by *customType again and again just fine, but as soon as you set customType to a new memory allocation, the previous register held by that pointer is lost... still filled with some value. if you want to set it to new address, "delete customType;" and recreate it on the heap..

If I could look into the code for that one plugin, I could help debug/fix totally free of cost, and it would help me learn to code FFGL plugins. If you need me to sign some non-disclosure I totally will, your code would be safe with me.

It would be nice for this plugin to run under current version of Windows, as there are a few of us running windows 7 x64 systems. Thanks for all your time and effort spent developing this plugin (I obviously love it or it wouldn't be an issue that I spend my sunday afternoon on).

EDIT: found FFGL assembla, checkedout your code. Big thanks.
Last edited by pleasuretek on Sun May 23, 2010 23:58, edited 1 time in total.

pleasuretek

Post by pleasuretek »

funkyant wrote: ATI 5850 GFX
OT::
Wow, you got GDDR5. Those cards have been on top for a minute now

dep

Post by dep »

i have done some further testing: on a Windows 7 x64 machine and a fresh install of Resolume 3.2, i left the plugin running with your settings in the demo composition, with all clips in column 1 playing. i left it running overnight, and it didn't crash. however, there is some increase in memory usage when the plugin is added to the composition, so it could be that the os is auto-detecting the leak, as you said.
i will run the plugin with a debugger attached and try to find where the memory gets allocated.