Arena 6 and multithreading

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Warspite
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Arena 6 and multithreading

Post by Warspite »

Made this test again but now with i7-6850k and Resolume 6.0.1.
Can run 12 layers of H264 1400x1080 with CPU load at 75 percent and 55 fps.
Fantastic.

GMAS
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by GMAS »

So I'm using a HP Z620 with 2 Xeons (so I have 16 cores). Yesterday we did a test with 40+ layers and many slices. Totaal resolution counts up to about 5k...
We saw that indeed only 1 core is doing the main load, some others do minor work, the rest is just goofing around.
With a gtx 1080 ti we get about 35fps. So I guess I'm missing clocks speed to get higher fps. The Xeons can go to 3.3 GHz in turbo...

Warspite

Post by Warspite »

Mine runs at 2,5. So it is not frequency.
If you use DXV - videocard decodes files.

GMAS

Post by GMAS »

Wath setup do you have? Also a z620? With what graphic card.?
I'm really interested in understanding the cause of low fps in this composition. Everything is in dxv.

Warspite

Post by Warspite »

Not HP, custom built.
If you use DXV content, all content is decoded on your videocard, there is no parallel work for your CPU, and no way to make good use of CPU multi threading.
Running 40 layers is an extreme task, i think. No surprise that you can not get good fps.
You can check GPU load with GPU-Z and SSD load with windows task manager. If your GPU is over-stressed, you can encode some content to h264. This will offload GPU and SSD, and will create some workfield for CPU.

Menno
Team Resolume

Post by Menno »

Warspite wrote:If you use DXV content, all content is decoded on your videocard, there is no parallel work for your CPU, and no way to make good use of CPU multi threading.
That's not really true. When compared to h264, decompression indeed does take a whole lot less time from the cpu, but it's still there.
GMAS wrote:So I'm using a HP Z620 with 2 Xeons (so I have 16 cores). Yesterday we did a test with 40+ layers and many slices. Totaal resolution counts up to about 5k...
We saw that indeed only 1 core is doing the main load, some others do minor work, the rest is just goofing around.
With a gtx 1080 ti we get about 35fps. So I guess I'm missing clocks speed to get higher fps. The Xeons can go to 3.3 GHz in turbo...
I think you're guessing in the right direction. What i think you're seeing is that the 1 core (our renderer) is working as fast as it can, and there just isn't enough work to offload onto other cores. (Especially if there's a LOT of slices) 3.3GHz is pretty decent though and i dont think you'll find a machine anywhere that can easily do 40+ layers. In fact, 35fps for 40 layers sounds pretty good to me 8-)

Spoiler: We've got some work planned for some cases where we've seen renderer utilization drop below 70%. This might improve your situation as well.

GMAS

Post by GMAS »

I've been testing with the latest i7-8700K and see that working at a clock speed of 4,8 GHz does a lot better. So I've made two 19" workstations with these processors... For other software applications I see that having 2x 8-cores can be more usefull, but in the case of many layers in Resolume 6 it isn't.