"Select" multiple clips / time control

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
MatthiasKp
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

"Select" multiple clips / time control

Post by MatthiasKp »

Hey All

I am planning an installation/performance with a stage that is surrounded by four semi-transparent (textile) screens. So I will be having four projector outputs at all time. I am trying to figure out a way to "scrub" the timeline of all four clips on display simultaneously. Is that even possible? I can "select" four clips (they are highlighted) and trigger them (by hitting enter) but they won't react to midi-input (or cues). I have found some threads concerning similar issues (trigger the cues of all clips which obviously wouldn't work) but an implementation that allows to have multiple clips "selected" would open some very interesting workaround!

Or does anyone have suggestions how I could achieve such a thing? I also looked into the Vezer App (http://www.vezerapp.hu/) that looked very promising but as far as I see it is also limited on one selected clip...

Thanks

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: "Select" multiple clips / time control

Post by Joris »

You can scrub multiple clips at the same time.

Turn on View Layer Transport Controls in the View menu. This will pop up a new column in the layer area which gives quick access to the controls of the clip playing in that layer.

Now when you enter Application Midi Map, and shift the focus to Deck in the bottom left, you can assign the same midi control to each playhead.

Hope that helps.

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

or just put all clips in 1 collum and trigger the collum
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

MatthiasKp

Post by MatthiasKp »

Thanks for your solutions and ideas. One thing I'm still missing though is the use of cue-points in more than one clip. It would be really nice to be able to trigger (and set) the cue-points of all selected clips at the same time... --> wishlist! :)

thedawjones
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by thedawjones »

Should be pretty easy. I believe you are getting off track by trying to "select multiple clips"
Remember with midi we can map the same button/note/knob/key to as many different parameters as needed,
and control them all at once.

Try this for a test: load 3 clips you want to trigger/cue on different layers.
Select first clip:
Enter composition mapping mode:
Under "cue points" you will see five cues labeled q-w-e-r-t-y, these are the cue triggers which are set
by the little button immediately left of the trigger.
Map the "q" (or first cue) to a midi button/note
Map the "q" cue set button to separate midi button/note
Exit midi map mode, select your next clip and repeat the process above-
Mapping the same 2 midi buttons/keys/notes.
Unfortunately you have to exit midi mapping to select a different clip
Lather,rinse, repeat.

Now they should all go to cue with the first button, and set cue with second button
You will also need to map a button to initialize (start) these clips.

You can add a midi knob or endless encoder to the play head of these clips for scrubbing.
If you are mapping an endless encoder(jog wheel) you need to set change midi mode* from
absolute to relative, you can fine tune with the "steps" setting.
*(change midi setting appear in lower left corner when mapping is enabled)

If you are using a daw for audio, you can send midi triggers,envelopes from there as well,
and store the clips in your set.
good luck.

MatthiasKp

Post by MatthiasKp »

Hey Daw Jones (?)

Thanks for your answer and sorry for my late reply (crazily covered in work). The solution you are suggesting works fine for a usual setup. My problem is that I am working with more than 300 unique clips... So I'd rather just select a clip when playing and then be able to access the cue points for all 4 layers at the same time.

An other question at this point: is there a way to trigger the "next clip" or "previous clip"? The hack that I'm working with right now is having a midi knob set to scrubbing and auto pilot set to next clip. This way I can scrubb all to the end and the next video will play. But I think you can see that this solution is not really satisfying...

Sadler
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Sadler »

This is probably not what you want but if you add IR OCS SA to your comp and set the command to:

/layer1/video/position/values
/layer2/video/position/values
/layer3/video/position/values
etc.

This will allow you to set up to 32 (depending on the version of IR OSC SA) cue points for each layer - the cue point corresponding to the IR OSC SA step markers. However, the cue points would apply to all clips within a layer and could not be tweaked individually.

You can set these steps to proceed automatically or on a dashboard knob or randomly but cannot be easily triggered individually and randomly and manually unless you're a knob wizard. Of course you can connect all layers together into a single knob as above. If attached to a knob however the steps won't run automatically.

Autopilot also doesn't work unless you make sure the clips get to the end at some stage - i.e. the steps might not allow the clip to reach the end.