Preview columns or multiple clips?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
hanes
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Preview columns or multiple clips?

Post by hanes »

Sorry if this question has been already asked:

I am a new user to Resolume and could not find any possibility to preview multiple clips or a column? :shock:

There must be one?!

I know this function from Module 8 and I thought it has to be possible on Resolume, too???

I find it absolutely necessary because isn`t one of the most important things about VJing to put layers together? Before I trigger a mixture of layers and let the audience see what I created of course I would like to see by myself?

Thanks for help!

:)s
Last edited by hanes on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Preview columns or multiple clips?

Post by pfelberg »

Preview in Resolume is for clips only, so far and as far as I know.
Just click on a clip´s tab and it will preview.
If you click on a column tab, it will play the entire column live.
That´s pretty much it.

Paulo

hanes

Post by hanes »

Thanks for the reply! :)

Wow...that`s kinda disappointing. But how do you know then how it looks like if you put several layers together? Try and error? Try at home before a gig? :shock:

drazkers

Post by drazkers »

Know your content, practice with content before a gig.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Try and error? Try at home before a gig? :shock:
It's interesting that this seems such a strange thing to do. Improvising music is something that only very experienced musicians will dare to do. But apparently for VJs it's almost common to not prepare or practice at all, and then improvise everything on the spot during a gig.

Imagine that guitarists would have to preview which notes make a chord together while playing a song. Even all-digital DJs will know which tracks mix well together before they start cue-ing.

Resolume is also a live instrument. We sort of expect you to know your own footage. Or at least know what sort of result certain blend modes will have with certain types of footage.

//End rant mode

Of course we realise that previews are a good thing to have. We are researching how you could elegantly preview multiple layers together before sending them to the mix.

hanes

Post by hanes »

Hi! Thanks for the replies!

Well, I understand what you write and generally agree, but I also really think that it depends on the way you work and who you work together with.
Me personally, I feel one important thing about VJing is to be able to REACT to music. Listening to music a DJ plays always brings new ideas, even if you just realize somebody is changing the direction from now on. I have so many ideas during a gig that I never thought of at home! Don`t you think?
Being able to preview multiple layers - in my opinion - really improves to handle new ideas.
As we all know, putting together two or more layers can create a whole new clip that looks really unexpected. Sometimes, for example, you only need to scale one element of a clip and put it on another to have a cool effect.
If you are not sure about the size of the element and scale while the audience is already watching it you can easily destroy the atmosphere you just created, if you know what I mean? So why not previewing what you "create"?
As I wrote before, I have used other VJing software that has this function and found it so useful....! :)

In any way, thanks again for replying and please let me know if you really include this feature! :)

drazkers

Post by drazkers »

So you're likely coming from modul8, I remember when i switched over and found the lack of preview to be completely ridiculous. I certainly bitched up a storm as i dragged in my new batch of vimeo clips right before a gig. That was back in 2010/2011 with Resolume 3 and over the years i've certainly gained a greater understanding of how effects/layers can be chained and how they'll look. Hilariously I think this question was my very first post. So i understand the argument in you're current mindset.

First I question how they would effectively be able to implement the preview setup in the current layout.

I also wanna share what that lack of preview did to me after i posted about the lack of A/B bus preview(My first post). The lack of preview forced me to be at home and practice with the content that i did have, so then i could perform the way i wanted. Through practice I got ALOT better and stopped randomly clicking things until something cool happened, when I got inspired I knew exactly how to create what i wanted. I eventually needed to create the content I wanted so i could do the things I wanted. Sometimes creating content completely in Resolume. Would the preview be a handy option, Yah! But without it, i was forced to really learn and understand Resolume until it grew into a creative extension of me.

This doesn't help you really, I'm just saying you gotta practice alot and sometimes that practice can turn into a career and a living, which lets you travel and meet amazing people. So its not all bad. But A/B preview would be nice.

hanes

Post by hanes »

aha....yes, you are right, I am coming from Module 8! And thanks a lot for that great post! :D

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Through practice I got ALOT better and stopped randomly clicking things until something cool happened, when I got inspired I knew exactly how to create what i wanted (....) i was forced to really learn and understand Resolume until it grew into a creative extension of me.
From a user experience design point of view, this is probably the biggest compliment we ever got. Of course there's always room for improvement, but at least we're on the right track ;)

deadsound
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by deadsound »

In the Corporate and Live Performance environment preview is almost a must. IT's too risky to improvise..

WK