Presets don't update automatically

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Presets don't update automatically

Post by Oaktown »

Is there any way to force an effect preset to update automatically in all clips?

For instance, I'm using the built-in Keystone effect and have three layers of video adjusted to a mask. I've created 3 presets (Left, Center and Right) which line up with the mask alpha openings. If I change the mask and adjust the 3 presets to match it, I have to manually reload the presets in all the clips that use these presets rather than have the presets update automatically.

This is of course not time efficient when programming a large show and hard to manage when doing a live show. I've tried quitting and restarting hoping that all these presets would adjust but that didn't do the trick! It'd be great to have a feature that forces all effects that are set to a preset to update automatically when the preset values are updated.

ReggieUnderground
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Presets don't update automatically

Post by ReggieUnderground »

This is one of those things that would be a feature for some and a bug for others. Imagine the pain on a large show if you wanted to update a preset but *not* affect your previously set parameters!

+1 for an option to do this, but with a pop-up prompt that makes you think twice before executing

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

+1
in the dropdown instead of clicking "save" preset there could be another line like "save and update used instances"
so the user has to actively decide.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

@ ReggieUnderground - If you don't want to affect the clips that use your existing preset then all you would have to do would be to save the updated preset as something else, correct?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Currently, the preset system is pretty much just a shortcut to quickly set parameters. The effect has no concept of which preset is applied to it. As far as it's concerned, when a preset is applied, the user is some kind of octopus that just really quickly set every parameter to a different value.

The parameter values are then stored and recalled via the composition, the preset itself is no longer used. The only way to let an effect update to a changed preset is to re-save the preset and then switch back and forth between Default and the preset on each and every instance. I regularly find myself spending a few minutes doing this on shows and silently cursing the preset system as well.

We've talked about using a 'Save and Update' system instead. Good to see that others would welcome this as well!

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

It certainly would be nice to have that option!