Inconsistant Clip Behavior

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Inconsistant Clip Behavior

Post by Zoltán »

DHoude wrote:I think I am seeing a similar issue with Arena 5. Like you, it seems that when I trigger a clip with the mouse all works fine. When I use a mapped key, many times I see the timeline Start and Stop marks for a clip snap together. So the clip stops playing. Sometimes it leave me with a still image on screen
this happens exactly when you press the "o" on your keyboard... because o is assigned to the output marker in Application Key Mapping.

https://resolume.com/manual/en/r4/keymap
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

As Ravensc suggests, both of you are probably just having a double keymapping somewhere.

If you'd like us to take a look for you, just drop a line to mail@resolume.com and we schedule a Teamviewer session.

DHoude
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by DHoude »

I think you are right. Just not use to a program that allows "double key mapping". I thought that if I mapped something it would overwrite the old action. Guess I will look at defaulting the map and trying to use something else.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Keep in mind that double mapping is not just with the keyboard, it also exists with MIDI and DMX. The only control that you won't be able to double map is OSC since all the parameters are pre-programmed in Resolume. And don't forget that you can end up with multiple mapping issues between Application and Composition mapping.

In preference, you can turn off the DMX Auto Map and you can have multiple MIDI Maps and load the one you want to use.

Double mapping can cause heratic behavior if you don't expect it as you already know but it can also work in your favor if you want to map multiple parameters to one key, MIDI note/CC or DMX channel. For instance if you wanted to map the same MIDI CC to multiple transition sliders.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Totally understood and thanks for the warning. I was thinking of using Lemur OSC, so maybe I need to go that way sooner than later. I can see the benefit of the macros though which is why I did not ask to change it.

My DJ software is just different and that is what I am use to. With that software, I can't map existing key sequences. But there is a nice list to manage them all and a whole scripting language that I can make macros with. "Double mapping" keys seems like a better idea (if you expect it) for the average person. Programming scripts is ok, but can be complicated too. I was just getting ahead of myself and followed a tutorial online where they mapped the top 2 rows of letters to trigger clips. No warning that many keys are pre mapped.

It would be nice to see what keys are mapped by default when mapping, or a warning that a key is already mapped to something else. It would help us new guys, but I will get up to speed fast. Thanks again for the above contributions!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

DHoude wrote:I think you are right. Just not use to a program that allows "double key mapping". I thought that if I mapped something it would overwrite the old action. Guess I will look at defaulting the map and trying to use something else.
you can clear the default application key map by opening it up then on the left bottom you will see a remove all button
"Double mapping" keys seems like a better idea (if you expect it)
you can also do multiple assignment on one button/midi in composition key map too.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

It would be nice to see what keys are mapped by default when mapping, or a warning that a key is already mapped to something else. It would help us new guys, but I will get up to speed fast.
The keys that are already mapped show in Edit Application Key Maps and I don't think there are any composition key pre-mapped.
Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 18.54.00.png

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Yea, I just noticed all the other options under mapping. Funny how when learning something new, you find a few things that you use and just keep working those functions without looking other around as much. Loving the software, so much to do! At some point I am going to have to start paying attention to the wife!

Definitely going to be a while before I get fully comfortable with how to best use mapping for live performance. Wish I had more work so I could justify a controller. Think I need a lesson on how to lay out my decks efficiently first.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

DHoude wrote:Wish I had more work so I could justify a controller.
As you 'foray' into the world of controllers, I would highly recommend looking into Open Sound Control (OSC) since this is the protocol that will probably give you the most functionality and control.

And make sure you check Ravensc's controller: http://palffyzoltan.hu/?url=controller