Live Camera Input Issue

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
DeanPelton
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Live Camera Input Issue

Post by DeanPelton »

Hey gang and hope some one can point me to some information or offer any help with my situation. Just joined in and love the software and using the latest demo for testing.

I use HD PTZ cams fixed at 1080i...can not change the output to 720. The 1080i input shows up fine using a Blackmagic 4K Pro but when I pan the camera there is a slight "hitch/drag" that comes and goes...basically its just not reliably smooth but its very close to being usable for IMAG at this point...latency is very minimal...maybe 2-3 frames at most. I am using a couple of ViewZ broadcast monitors to simulate my screens that are quite nice.

I started out with a basic single discreet screen at 1920x1080 and brought the camera image into that screen and tried various sizings.....full...pip. Typically would be using this as a pip and enabled deinterlacing.

Looking for any tweaks I can make from the veterans here that may resolve this.

I did go into the prefs and disabled the trans/blend and also lowered the output to the lower quality setting but that didn't help and also monkeyed around with the MANY settings in the Nvidia menu.

The system is very fast:

1151 LGA Skylake Quad 4.0
Asus Z170-WS
32G DDR4 Memory
GFORCE GTX980

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Live Camera Input Issue

Post by Oaktown »

Is your questions about the hitch/drag? Are you seeing that in both the preview and output monitors as well as your actual output?

What brand/model is your HD-PTZ camera?

HDMI or 3G-SDI?

Also, can you send a screenshot of your clip setup?

DeanPelton

Post by DeanPelton »

Thanks so much for the quick response.

I am using Sony BRC-Z700 PTZs. Been using them for years with Atem switchers. I have always used the analog component out into a BM Analog to SDI converter which has 2 outputs. So running at 1080i I believe its just called HD-SDI and 3G would be 1080p for nomenclature?

Yes, I am trying to get the camera input to run smoothly on the Resolute output. That is the only issue I am having. Trying to step things up a notch and Resolute seems like an affordable way to do this cause I can't afford a Spyder or Encore.

Its not the camera as I am and running the camera to one monitor directly and the other output to Resolute via BM card and observing the behavior side by side and its just not quite there and usable for IMAG...close but I can't live with it.

Sorry not in position to provide a screenshot at the moment but can provide later when back in the studio.

I went with a very simple composition. 1920x1080....single screen only...and camera only source in place on layer one.

Oh and using Windows 10 Pro and latest version of Desktop Video.

Thanks!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

what length are the SDI cables are you using?
I would try with an older driver for the BMD gear.
Is the issue visible in Media Express too?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

DeanPelton

Post by DeanPelton »

Cables are short 6' for in house bench testing.

I just tried an older one 6.5.2....I believe I remembered version correctly and still same issue. I could try some others and see what happens or another brand or type of input card from BM.

Media express is not an issue for recording on an aux from a switcher or direct in if I were to use it. On MXLight now.

Its simply not the camera as I have an A/B monitor config set up side by side...one for direct feed from camera to HD monitor and one showing the composite from Resolume. Resolume output stutters when motion is taking place.

Can you guys tell me ( for the ones that use live inputs with cameras ) if you are getting good smooth camera input when motion is happening at 1080i? I need to resolve this or I will never get past the demo stage and purchase the software.

Resolume doesn't seem to be supported directly with these kinds of issues and left to the wolves in the Forum. If this is not correct please let me know and always appreciate any help offered.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Can you guys tell me ( for the ones that use live inputs with cameras ) if you are getting good smooth camera input when motion is happening at 1080i?
Yes

Do you have the [ ] Deinterlace check box checked?

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

What are your 3D settings in the nvidia control panel? Make sure things like "prefer maximum performance" are set

Since the BMD devices are natively supported , they are captured directly to GPU. could be that if the power settings are set to let nvidia choose, the nvidia driver isn't switching modes to allow for the bandwidth of the capture.

I use a mixture of gopros with AJA HDMI to sdi converters and panasonic aw60s, but all set to 720p. No stuttering (I also use datapath capture cards).

Seems odd the 700 would be a fixed resolution. I've use the 900s before and they allowed you to switch resolutions.

DeanPelton

Post by DeanPelton »

Thanks much DirtyJohn!

I'll poke around in there and make sure its set correctly if not already. I was going to try Win 7 Pro also just to see what happens. I hate 10 interface anyway..

Yeah the 700s are fixed but I need the 20x zoom for ballroom work...love the 900 series from what I have read but not enough lens. Panasonic don't have a 3D controller which was a must have for me since I switch with my left hand at the same time I run the cams.
'

And yes I have tried deinterlace option and neither setting makes any difference with the stuttering. I'm sure we can sort this out with some more troubleshooting. Keeping my hopes up for now!

Any other ideas appreciated and I realize it could be just about anything....frustrating but will keep plugging away at it. Maybe try the data path or other brand....will be giving the Deckling Duo a shot late next week.

DeanPelton

Post by DeanPelton »

Well I have tried and tried but Resolume just isn't camera friendly. There is what I would describe as "micro jitter" that randomly pops up on the live camera shot when there is motion. Same issue on BM and Datavideo cards. I loaded up ProPresenter and Wings demo and had instant success with zero jitter but it is more latent on ProPresenter. Resolume has a much better response with respect to latency. Went all the way up to a GTX 980ti and doesn't appear to be a performance issue with my hardware.

To the developers of this software please take a look at this issue. Love the software but this is a no go for me until the problem is fixed. Would love to open up the wallet if this gets resolved.

-Dean

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We'd love to take a look at this. The first step in fixing anything, is seeing how it's broken.

Would this be something we'd need to purchase your specific model camera and BM card for? Or do you reckon a simple GoPro via a Mini Recorder would show the same problem?