MIDI beat sync does not pick up beat, only BPM

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Downtown
Is taking Resolume on a second date

MIDI beat sync does not pick up beat, only BPM

Post by Downtown »

Firstly I'd like to say wow, I had no idea MIDI clock was so inaccurate.

I'm using M-Audio Torq (it's an older DJ program, but it does things that other programs like Traktor can't do) and trying to sync visuals with it. I successfully have MBC (MIDI beat block) output from Torq, going through MIDI Yoke, to Resolume. Resolume recognizes the signal and adjusts its BPM...but not very accurately. MIDI input is turned off for this MIDI Yoke channel, only MIDI clock start/stop. It doesn't work if it's on manual stop. The BPM fluctuates. Sometimes an obnoxious amount (20-130bpm on a house tune) and sometimes it sits right around 127-129 when the track is at 128, and it's passable for a sync. However, I added BPM sync to some visuals, and when Resolume is receiving MIDI clock and I start these visuals, they don't show. This is because the actual beat is frozen. I receive BPM, but the 4:4 beat clock just doesn't do anything.

Torq has a few options on the MIDI tab including phase offset, but I can guess that this has to do with latency and isn't an issue I have. MIDI LED sync does nothing. Start/stop behavior choices are "stop" and "freewheel," both of which have no effect either.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: MIDI beat sync does not pick up beat, only BPM

Post by Joris »

Sounds like Traktor is not sending out a Midi Clock Start command.

There is some explanation on how the Midi Clock protocol works in this thread. Spoiler alert, Midi Clock is super wonky and outdated.