Another MSI laptop with issues :/

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Another MSI laptop with issues :/

Post by 3003 »

Hi there.
Tried the Win 10 1803 April update and no luck for me. Advanced output window dragging causes problems.
Updated nvidia driver, tried multiple card and os settings and still the same. ¿any settings I shall pay attention to make it work?
Maybe I try reinstalling 10 an perhaps even 7 (killer wifi is not working) when I have time. ¿maybe sticking with win 7 is my best bet?

Cheers

Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Grimm90 »

Jup same to me , still no fix , and ive given up trying to contact MSI.
I did just see there is a new BIOS update , who knows this 2000eur+ laptop gets a UEFI bios with a optimus option.. gonna try !

Maybe we should all start uploading instagram pictures of "MSI support sucks" and "away with Optimus" mappings and they would react..

As for now , i'm still on windows 7 on this machine .
It's been a hassle to install and it isn't the best OS for this machine driver-wise , but it does run Resolume 6 in a stable workable fashion. Almost at the point of deleting my win10 partition even.

Post by 3003 »

Hey, Grimm90 good to know win 7 is making it for you!

I was having good results with it, but plugin in a fx4 (DP to 2160p50Hz, same HDMI 2160p25Hz) brings my framerate to 11 fps with an empty comp, no matter what settings everywhere. Win 10 goes 5 2160p noise layers 50 fps, not bad, but not stable (Advanced Output window white crash).
Hitting a wall here...I'm close to been done with it. I suspect this will never be solved under win 10.

Thanks for the help!
Cheers

Grimm90

Post by Grimm90 »

Ooh , good to know , if i meet those issues down the line ..

Have you tried the workaround where you open resolume on another main desktop and drag it to your laptop / work monitor ?

Post by 3003 »

Yes, and it works, at least with the miniDP and hdmi connected (1080p50hz each).
The thing is that I was planing to get 4K via miniDP to fx4, but I didn´t have time to test it that way.
Will report back.

Cheers

Grimm90

Post by Grimm90 »

I just added a screenshot of my nvidia control panel on this laptop with the optimus issue.
Is this exactly what i am seeing here , optimus at work , why 2 displays are on the intel , 2 other on the gpu ?
And is that why starting from a secondary (must be on a gpu port) screen seems to fix it or ?
Still trying to get my head around this and if there is anything to do yet about it ..
Attachments
36821178_1895606393832533_3206883107319840768_n.jpg

vnryhn

Post by vnryhn »

hello,

I just bought MSI gs63 stealth 8rf. having same issues drop frame. I tried to change preferred graphics processor to "integrated Graphics" not " high-performance NVIDIA Processor", I got 40 fps above using 3 outputs.

is there any best solution yet ?

Grimm90

Post by Grimm90 »

Not that i am aware of yet. On the flip side , ive been running this machine on windows 7 with resolume 6 now for almost half a year , and over 15 shows without any crash or anything doing weird during shows so it is a viable option.

I tend to have large compositions with 2 or 3 1080p outputs , sometimes 15-20 layers with fx , routers , png's , clips , masks. A lot of fx on groups , blending and still running 40-60fps.

Cooler booster on , and the laptop on a external cooling pad does help quite a lot when this 1070maxq gpu is working :)

vnryhn

Post by vnryhn »

Ok , im new in windows. How to install win 7 perfectly on my laptop? Thanks

Grimm90

Post by Grimm90 »

well reinstalling windows is just following the basic procedure of getting a windows 7 disc / bootable usb / create one from a iso, pop it in your usb drive , make sure you got the right bios settings so it starts from this source and there you are , in the windows install setup. There you can format your drives and make a virgin clean pc.
Thing is , it's tricky , because of firstly the m2 ssd , which is not natively supported in win 7 , so you have to add these files to your windows installation files (why i recommend going to the .iso to bootable usb route) .

That will get you windows 7 installed on these laptops with a m2 ssd. Then it's still the intel driver , but if your past that your done . check the previous pages of this thread :)
Grimm90 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 14:17 @rense : ooo thats great news im gonna try it out asap . Did any shows with this setup by now , how is it going since the april update ?

@3003 : I don't have links of that process saved mate sry .
To recap , you have to figure out how to add the NVMe drivers if i remember right for the m2 SSD , so it's the windows installer will recognise it when you want to install windows 7.

The other point will be getting the intel hd graphics driver installed on a 7th gen i7 processor with windows 7 : Intel will rebel. I found a youtube tutorial explaining which file in the driver to open and edit a line so it did install.
It's required to be able to install the nvidia driver :/

not sure about the links but something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqKJai-jtH4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQj0yM1Vnbk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w9JofZQkxI&t=72s