Stuttering Video on Resolume Arena 6

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
bobsj
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Stuttering Video on Resolume Arena 6

Post by bobsj »

just got a new iMac with Catalina and the hdcp handshake issue is back....stalling every 2 or 3 seconds

no external device plugged in = no lag

so dull

this is the splitter that worked when I had the problem with mohave, it got patched out after I raised it as an issue

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?C=38 ... 41_TE_dp_1

sigh....

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Apple is 50/50 for HDCP devices I've seen. I've had to run the direct support at a 85,000 person festival through NDI our of his Apple into my PC (via NDI) and that into our E2 system all due to Apple not playing well with HDCP handshakes.
Good luck and may the odds ever be in your favor ;)

If you can use one of those $45 BMD HDMI To SDI boxes, that will eliminate all of your HDCP worries as SDI does not use HDCP. Of course you're limited to 1080p@60

bobsj

Post by bobsj »

Fault finding my iMac 2020 (studio edit machine) > acer 4k monitor Catalina problems>

usb c to display port direct to monitor, mouse and output lag across all apps

usb c to hdmi> no lag

Its an hdcp compliment monitor so all I can surmise is that the correct hdcp hand shake wasn't being passed through over display port resulting in the regular lag

I didn't have to put a hdcp stripper in line because of the hdcp compliment nature of the device its plugged into, tried a non hdcp monitor on the other end and I had to put the stripper in line

Everybody should have one in the tool kit anyhow...

In my experience hdmi > hdsdi via a blackmagic or decimator box does not solve the problem as its not giving the silly Mac a nice hdcp handshake..

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

Do you need to have hdcp? Do you want to play hdcp protected files?

If not then try to disable hdcp in total as fast as possible. So the first thing behind the mac should say:

"Nope i dont take hdcp, can you switch if off?"

Then if the source is not hdcp protected the mac switch it off and you´re good to go.
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

bobsj

Post by bobsj »

He2neg wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:29 Do you need to have hdcp? Do you want to play hdcp protected files?

If not then try to disable hdcp in total as fast as possible. So the first thing behind the mac should say:

Then if the source is not hdcp protected the mac switch it off and you´re good to go.
show me how to disable hdcp on the outputs of a Mac and I will send you the best sticker in the world...ever!

b

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

bobsj wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:15
He2neg wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:29 Do you need to have hdcp? Do you want to play hdcp protected files?

show me how to disable hdcp on the outputs of a Mac and I will send you the best sticker in the world...ever!

b
It all happens in the dark without anything you can do directly (Edid Communication)

You need a device with the function to allow / disable hdcp. We use i.e. ImagePro (Barco) or any other swticher Analogway (pulse, nextstage, etc)

Or a other device without hdcp function, then the mac either will disable the output or if possible only disable the hdcp part. (hdmi to SDI converter i.e.) (can work, cant work)

Some older 1-2 HDMI Splitters also just handshake the mac (hdcp is okay) but dont ask the devices behind for a handshake as well. This was illegal and these splitters are hard to find.
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~Berlin~

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

If this is just for studio work, pretty much any common monitor is HDCP compliant. So this is very strange behavior.
For live events I would go SDI all day, that always works. (If you don't need 4k)
Sounds like another weird OSX bug to me.
To my knowledge, there isn't a way to turn HDCP off in OSX.

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

Arvol wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 15:23 If this is just for studio work, pretty much any common monitor is HDCP compliant. So this is very strange behavior.
For live events I would go SDI all day, that always works. (If you don't need 4k)
Sounds like another weird OSX bug to me.
To my knowledge, there isn't a way to turn HDCP off in OSX.
Depends.... There is no switch to turn it off, but the dhcp is off when using sdi anyway ;) The handshake have to go to every thing inside the signal chain and back and this need to happen in a very short time, when it takes to long the video is disabled (and maybe activated shortly after) When this behaviour also happens in a small setup (mac + monitor) then indeed the problem can be somewere else....
~Berlin~