Passing DMX Input through to DMX Output

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
kidCurry
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Passing DMX Input through to DMX Output

Post by kidCurry »

Hi everyone,

Just started using Resolume and its super cool. Having trouble figuring out how to do something though.

I have 3 components in my current setup running:

- SoundSwitch (a program sending DMX over Artnet to Resolume)
- Resolume (receiving DMX Input via Artnet from SoundSwitch and outputting DMX via Artnet)
- An LED tape fixture connected to an Arduino receiving DMX via Artnet

I have confirmed that SoundSwitch is sending DMX to Resolume and that Resolume can send DMX to my Arduino, and hence control my fixture via the advanced output section.

However what I cannot figure out it how to pass the DMX input part of Resolume as the DMX output to my fixture.

Essentially I want Resolume to act as a pass through for this information here.

I tried to connect Soundswitch to my fixture directly, but it won’t recognize it while it does recognize Resolume, so thought I could get this to work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, or if there is a better idea altogether I'm open to hearing about it.

Thank you!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Passing DMX Input through to DMX Output

Post by Zoltán »

DMX input in Resolume is only to control the user interface via the DMX shortcuts https://resolume.com/support/en/search/dmx

DMX output from Resolume is basically taking the color of specific pixels in your videos, and sending those colors to your fixtures.

Patching the input to the output is not possible in Resolume currently.

If it's only a few channels you want to pass, what you can try would be assigning DMX shortcuts to the brightness of white solid color clips, and use these as the source in the advanced output for the fixtures.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

What are you trying to achieve?

Most of the times that I've seen Resolume drive pixel tape is to have Resolume break videos down into pixels and send that to the tape.
So the signal flow would be:
Controller (DMX,MIDI,OSC) sending out a single channel to recall a scene or look in Resolume> Resolume receives the external control channel and then fires off a Clip or Column > Resolume outputs video to screens and also outputs the Video rendering into Pixels out to DMX.

If your controller is trying to send out it's own Pixel rendering of shapes and colors, Resolume can not turn those values into video's or pass those through to the fixture (easily).

It would be easier to re-create those looks that your controller is trying to generate in resolume and then just send out a single channel value to Resolume to recall that look or video in Resolume.

There is a few ways to make the passthrough work, but it is a LOT of work and it uses a LOT more system resources. If you absolutely need to know how let me know and I'll walk you through it, But I rather not spend the time now if it's not necessary.

Let me know if I'm way off on what you're trying to achieve, but that seems to be the most common case of what people are after.
We'll get you up and running :)

On a side note, that's weird that Resolume can talk to your tape but your controller can't??
I know on some DMX consoles, universes start at 1 rather than 0. You might check your offsets and see if that's the issue.

kidCurry

Post by kidCurry »

Thanks for the quick reply!

So basically Soundswitch is a program that lets you program lights to a song you're currently playing on your turntable/DJ software. It then allows you to send that information to your fixtures via DMX.

I am not entirely sure why Soundswitch cannot pick up my fixture from its interface but it can find Resolume.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that in Resolume I can set the TargetIp to the address my Arduino Artnet node is running on. Where as in Soundswitch it automatically checks if any Artnet compatible devices are on the network, but does not allow you to put in a TargetIp input. Are you familiar with the intricacies of Artnet?

Ideally I just want to be able to program my lights to any song thats playing on my deck on a beat by beat basis. Soundswitch has the cleanest interface for that, but before that I also considered doing it in Resolume. Would that be too granular to do in Resolume?

I can try my hand at the Soundswitch board and see if they have any ideas over there too.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Sounds like the Arduino Artnet node doesn't announce itself correctly then. What if you start Soundswitch before powering on the node?

Can you send to Broadcast from Soundswitch?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

kidCurry

Post by kidCurry »

Hey everybody!

I actually got it figured it out. The Arduino Artnet Node was receiving nodes via direct IP but was not broadcasting itself over the network.

I changed to configuration so that it actually acts like a node and broadcasts, and that seems to do trick.

Thanks for the help!