Usability

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Usability

Post by Rene »

I'd like to kick-off a short usability thread. Don't misunderstand me, Resolume's usability improved a lot (and not only its usability) since the last version and I'm aware that Avenue is still in beta. It's also plausible that technical issues are of higher priority, as they are most important for the users of Resolume. However, I think we should not reduce feedback to technical stuff only. Especially when the evening gets late, usability gets more and more important ;)

Something I've noticed:
  • Is it possible to enable layers for drag 'n drop? The arrow buttons next to the Bypass/Solo button do their job well, however it would be easier to handle.
  • Is there a difference between insert layer and new layer? The only difference I could figure out so far, is the position (topmost / just above the current) of the new layer.
    layer_contex.png
    layer_contex.png (10.94 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
    In case there is no other differnece; maybe it's easier to just add two buttons like
    layer_add_remove.png
    layer_add_remove.png (7.4 KiB) Viewed 3228 times
  • Is it possible to copy existing layers from different decks to a new deck? Maybe by unfolding a composition to show its decks (like in the composition browser). And unfold decks to see the layers?
How do others think about Resolume's usability. Is there something to improve? Or am I too critical? :roll:

bart
Team Resolume

Re: Usability

Post by bart »

Rene wrote:enable layers for drag 'n drop? The arrow buttons next to the Bypass/Solo button do their job well, however it would be easier to handle.
Yes this is possible but we deliberately did not implement it because a drag and drop action is not midi or keyboard mappable, by having up and down arrow buttons you can also do it by midi or keyboard shortcut.
Rene wrote: Is there a difference between insert layer and new layer?
"New layer" creates one at the top and "Insert" creates one below the layer you have selected.
Rene wrote: In case there is no other differnece; maybe it's easier to just add two buttons like
layer_add_remove.png
In an early sketch of the Resolume 3 interface we also had a + and - button to add and remove layers but we decided not to build them and to put these actions in the menu to prevent 'accidents' during live performance use.

As you know things can get pretty hectic when you are in the flow of mixing and if you would accidentally press the remove layer button (a mistake that is easily made when you put the buttons on the layer like that) it would be disastrous ;-)