Endless MIDI knobs

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
sleepytom
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Endless MIDI knobs

Post by sleepytom »

Hi

I'm trying to setup an AKAI MPD32 with resolume - it has some endless knobs which i'd like to use as relative controllers but I can't get resolume to correctly interpret them. what kind of control is resolume looking for?

It would be great to get this working as its an ideal controller for Resolume.

werlin

Re: Endless MIDI knobs

Post by werlin »

strange... i got my apc20's knob working as loop, it only works on relative 63-65 setting though, but 500 steps max range still make it more slow than desired

willcopps

Post by willcopps »

Since Resolume doesn't send MIDI information back to your controller, the controller won't be able to just send the correct MIDI data when you turn your knobs... Once you turn the knob once, though, things should seem to work. Does that solve your problem? There are some ways around something like this.

sleepytom

Post by sleepytom »

Increment / decrement controls do not need midi feedback to work.
turning the knob clockwise should result in the parameter value increasing - turning anti-clockwise should decrease the parameter value. The trouble is that resolume is not listening to the correct NRPN controls for AKIA endless knobs to work.

Werlin - could you expand on that please? what settings do you make in resolume to see the knobs working? Do you know if the APC uses the same NRPN controller as the MPD32?

cheers
tom

werlin

Post by werlin »

sleepytom wrote: Werlin - could you expand on that please? what settings do you make in resolume to see the knobs working? Do you know if the APC uses the same NRPN controller as the MPD32?
when you rotate the knob resolume's left side should turn into something like this

i went through all the modes.. absolute jumped left or right, 0-127 kept going one way no matter to where i turned the knob (unless i checked invert then it would go always the other way...), react i really dont remember and i already got the apc20 ready to ship back (but i dont think it worked either)

but relative 63-65 mode worked fine, bumped the steps to 500, checked the loop option and it was working properly

as for nrpn i know nothing about that... but i saw a while back some technical specs pdf on midi notes and messages of the apc40 on the vjforums, dont know if they're on akai's webpage though
(cant find it in my web history but a quick search back on the forums and you should find it quickly)

werlin

Post by werlin »

here, found it
http://www.live-laptops.com/Downloads/A ... _rev_1.pdf
the apc's shouldnt be that different so you might find something in there about what you were asking

willcopps

Post by willcopps »

Sorry, when you said "relative" I assumed that's what you meant. "Absolute" works fine with my BCF2000 and RemoteSL. I wonder if using MIDIox as a middleman would work for you.