Best way to batch encode to DXV??

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
the_psychologist
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Best way to batch encode to DXV??

Post by the_psychologist »

OK, the Adobe Media Encoder opens properly and shows DXV as an option. I'm getting a lot of videos that fail to open or display no image in the preview, so that's my next problem. Would hate to have to edit out all the clips all over again :shock:

the_psychologist

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but does the DXV codec really create such large filesizes? A 12MB .avi file turned into a 210MB .mov when encoded with DXV!! Is this to be expected? That would be a dealbreaker for me...

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Hey the_psychologist

Every video codec is designed to perform well in a certain area. For most codecs this means keeping filesize down, while still maintaining a decent quality. DXV is different, because it focuses on the best performance possible. This does mean that in some cases this means a serious increase in filesize. Since you are a live visualist, we're assuming that you would rather have lightning fast playback than a lot of room on your computer. Do a comparison with a few of your original clips playing, and then the same clips compressed as DXV. You should see a significant increase in framerate on the DXV clips. If you're not convinced, of course you're free to use whatever codec you want.

Joris

the_psychologist

I think DXV needs some minor settings to allow for different keyframe placement. I'm sorry, but a 1500% file size increase is not acceptable to me.

ridiculoid
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by ridiculoid »

Hey the_psychologist,

I just did a comparison between my old .avi (mix of codecs, 800 x 600) and new .mov (dxv, 800 x 600), across thousands of clips I have nothing like the size increase you're experiencing. The biggest increase I could find was one of just on 8%, mostly it's around the 5% mark.

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by VJair »

if the clips you are encoding to DXV are for film, they WILL come out larger than a more graphic clip of the same length and res.

file size should never be that important when preparing media for live playback as that is not your primary concern - quality of image, sustained framerate and smoothness of playback should all be of more importance than filesize, especialy with the ever decreasing cost of storage.

granted, you dont want files that consume multiple GB of storage, but given the choice of a small file that doesnt perform well or a big file which meets the criteria, i know which id go for every time.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

the_psychologist wrote:I think DXV needs some minor settings to allow for different keyframe placement. I'm sorry, but a 1500% file size increase is not acceptable to me.
We're sorry if it's not living up to your expectations. What you're suggesting though would pretty much defeat the purpose of what DXV is about in the first place. Using any long-gop compression schemes would impact performance considerably. If you see no benefit in using DXV or if the file size is unacceptable, just use whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Joris

werlin

Post by werlin »

maybe i can shed some light on the filesize...

i discovered that when using AE if you have a 1080p project, and if you resize it to 720p on the render queue settings it will have a much larger file size than if you scale the project down and leave render queue setting alone... im aware that you're using premiere but must be something like that going on...

if u cant find out why in premiere... just try re-rendering your dxv clips directly to dxv again with quicktime, to see if they get any smaller

i know i've encoded 10min of 720p to a file size of 1gb, and 5 min 800x600 to like 700mb, and this was on dxv1.0... so there must be something else at play there

cologne
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by cologne »

Hi ;-)

It is normal/right, that the file size of the videos after encoding (Mac, Quick Time Pro 7 -> DXV Codec, mov Format) have instead the original file with 120 MB -> now 600 MB. ?? Please help, thanks a lot.
Macbook Pro (Late 2013) 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2 GB GDDR5 | OS X 10.9 | 1TB SSD | Resolume Arena 4.1.8 | Music: Traktor Pro 2 with Audio Inteface DJ 8

Tschoepler
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Tschoepler »

cologne wrote:Hi ;-)

It is normal/right, that the file size of the videos after encoding (Mac, Quick Time Pro 7 -> DXV Codec, mov Format) have instead the original file with 120 MB -> now 600 MB. ?? Please help, thanks a lot.
yup
████▀ ▄█ tschoepler.net █████ zweifarbton.net █▄ ▀████