Mapping Questions

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Agent Orange
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Mapping Questions

Post by Agent Orange »

Hello,

I'm working on a project that will require mapping to a sculpture (mostly triangles), and there's a couple parts of the setup I'm not quite sure if I can pull off in Resolume.

I want to be able to address each surface as a screen, and change clips independently, but I also need to be able to play content across all of them at the same time. Right now the only way I can see to accomplish this is to set up layers for each surface, and map them with the keystone plugins, then make a separate layer with a mask of the overall shape that will play content over all the surfaces... I'm assuming I could put all the screens on A, and the layer spanning all on B, then crossfade between the two for transitions...

The sculpture isn't built and the projector hasn't arrived, so I can't do much testing, but I'd like to know if anyone has any input in terms of workflow that might make the process easier. Also, I know resolume doesn't have any kind of automatic clip transitions, so I'm curious, other than fade out/in if you guys have suggestions for smoother clip transitions between clips on the same layer...

Any input is appreciated

PS - loving the dxv performance in Resolume... just switched from VDMX, and I think that's really what sets this app apart from the competition.

Tecno`
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Mapping Questions

Post by Tecno` »

Sounds like an interesting project.

It may be worth downloading the IR Mapio plugin which you could set up on the composition. Download demo from here http://irworkshop.com/products/mapio
You could then set your individual layers up with masks for each surface and an overall layer spanning all the surfaces but still keystoned to each surface with Mapio.

What I have done before is set up individual layers with keystone and mask and then sent a separate layer to the the S-video output on my graphics card. I then brought the S-video back in using a capture card and placed this source each layer. This means that the keystone effects and masks on each layer were still applied when I used clips that spanned all the surfaces.

Another work around is to load multiples of the same clip into a column and size and position them so they are in the right place on each layer. I think you can then trigger all of these clips into all of the layers at the same time by clicking the top of the column.

Hope some of that makes sense!
In my experience I have found most things can be done in Resolume with a bit of creative thinking. Just allow yourself plenty of time with no pressure.

Tim

Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have the IR Mapio demo, but this project is for a free festival, so I'm trying to keep the cost minimal.
One thing I haven't figured out with it though is that it seems to be capturing the entire output, not specific layers, so would I have to use something like the video wall effect to split the layers for each surface?

I understand that a lot of these techniques are still experimental, but it seems like there's a real lack of solid information regarding mapping setups online. Everyone wants to post their finished product, but no one seems to be talking about how they did it. I subscribe to the school of thought that if it helps the community, it will come back to you eventually... So once I get this all figured out, I hope to post any findings and details I can to help newcomers to the scene.

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by VJair »

just put the plugin on the layer effect instead of the master effects.

Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

So far with testing the best method I've found for mapping to triangles is actually the photoshop mask method.

Using both IR Mapio, and the keystone effects, you have to severely warp the image to fit a triangle.
A caveat I've found with this method, however is that while using individual layer masks, you can no longer use the layer scale/zoom/rotate controls as they apply to the mask as well... It's a shame there isn't a checkbox to have the mask remain static, or to enable resizing warping if you decide you need it... maybe in a future version?

Given my content, the parallax effect isn't really noticeable (on the scale model anyway), although I was hoping to have the ability to keystone individual layers... any suggestions for a way to make that work in combination with a composition and layer masks?

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by VJair »

have you tried putting the 1210 visuals FR parameters on the layer?

http://www.1210visuals.net/index.php?op ... &Itemid=56

it gives size, position, or rotation controls as an effect... i havnt tried it with a mask yet...

Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

Hey VJ Air, just tried that plugin, and no dice... still messing up the mask when I try to transform the clip.

I think I'm going to have to transform everything on a per clip basis...

John McGeoch
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by John McGeoch »

Hi - there have been a few streams regarding Resolume`s pipeline and mapping and it`s unfortunate choice of rendering masks and effects with all clip deformations, hopefully there will be a switch to choose where in the pipeline these will be rendered in the next version. From my perspective, as regards Resolumes use as a installation and mapping projection tool, rather than just a straight screen VJ machine, it`s what really holds it back as a professional live tool, as every clip has to be prepared for the set of masks that have been made. In context of your questions, I haven`t found a better way than the long way round, which is to prepare a set of photoshop masks for every surface you want individually mapped and put each of these masks on a seperate resolume layer and then all content for each mask on the relevant manner. When you want the video to go over all the layers then you have a mask for all layers as well. Yep really looking forward to when you can make your makes and cut and deform a resolume layer into it live! best wishes John McGeoch

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

I Agree, I do exactly the same thing that John is telling us!