Loading Composition Decks Problem

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
mesheroom
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Loading Composition Decks Problem

Post by mesheroom »

I'm using Resolume 3.3.1 lastest version with macbook pro.
when i'm performing,Load Composition Decks time is fuxxing too slow.

i used resolume 2 version with windows 1years ago.that's fast loading compostion decks

but why resolume 3 is too slow.how to make fast speed Loading compostion decks.
Help me.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Loading Composition Decks Problem

Post by Joris »

Hey Mesheroom

Sorry to hear you find deck loading times to be longer than expected, or 'fuxxing too slow' as you choose to call it.

Resolume 2 and Resolume 3 are different programs, with different options and different capabilities. In order for a deck to load in R3, a lot of information has to be read (all the clip data, clip effects, clip thumbnails etc etc). Especially when a deck contains a lot of files, this can take some time.

Getting a faster drive to store your clips on will greatly improve the situation, and we are also always working on making this faster and improving it. If you do a search on the forums, you can find many threads on this issue, and also many more suggestions on how to improve it.

Joris

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

Hey there,

first: Great Software! :-)

second:
(MY SYSTEM: Win7 / Intel i7 2600K CPU / 12GB Ram / Ati Radeon HD6850 / SSD 512GB)
Deckchange loading time 10-15 Sek. Sorry, but thats to long for working ON FIRE on a Gig :-)

Loading the decks really takes a lot of time. Shure there are a lot of information to load at a deckchange
BUT >> Don't u think it could be possible to load the infomation invisible in background?

for example:

When I change from deck A to deck B >> i'll see all the thumbnails (which are generated and saved on komposition startup) of deck B in the same Second. All the information which contains to every certain clip is loading in background from now on.
BUT when I, the user, click on a clipthumb from which the information isn't load yet. my click will interrupt the backgound loading procedure and primary load the info of my choosen clip.
After that the background procedure can go on from the interrupt position.

what do u think?

Greeeeetz by
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Hey Cosmowe

We're very much aware of the frustration deck switching causes some people. We're always figuring out ways to improve things, and suggestions are always very welcome.

What you suggest makes sense, but unfortunately doesn't quite work out that way when it would actually be implemented. It's hard to explain without actually diving in to the source code, but it pretty much would mean a complete rewrite. At the moment, we can't commit to an investment like that.

Having said that, I'm afraid that interruptions when loading new media are something we have to live with with the current technology. As far as I know, no VJ software out there can load more than a dozen clips at the time without at least hiccuping a bit.

I hope that explains our standpoint a bit.

Joris

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

hey Joris,
okay I understand the point.

sorry, but I have to ask u one more question :oops: :
what would be if ALL decks load their information at ones on komposition startup?
correct me when I'm wrong... but why load the clip information in every deck only when a deckchange is going on?

Best regards
cosmowe

Joris

Post by Joris »

what would be if ALL decks load their information at ones on komposition startup?
Nothing really wrong with that. It's a different approach, one we decided not to take because of depending on how many clips and decks you have, things could take *really* long (as in, 'is it loading, or is it stuck?' long). Plus, at a certain point your computer would have to remember so much at the same time, performance would suffer because of that as well.

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by HerrNieDa »

hmm... maybe a startup window (likely to adobe suite) would help where you can choose the last compositions (maybe with checkboxes for individual decks) or a new comp.

but the problem still remains if you load a deck to an composition
anyways it would be great if all decks ar preloaded, should make interactions much easier!
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

Heeeey... good idea!

Something like this?

would be great. So everyone can choose! 8-)

Joris

Post by Joris »

The main thing is that Resolume doesn't limit the amount of clips you can load. So when you have a lot of clips in your comp, preloading everything on start up just takes too much time, and you'd pretty much max out the ram while you're doing it. So that's not a route we're going to take.

We are however always shaving off the deck loading time, and on Res 4 it already takes about 30% less time than before. And we're still testing some ideas to improve it even further.

It basically comes down to a choice between waiting for a deck to fully load and then having every clip set to be triggered immediately, or switching between decks quicker, but with a possible delay in triggering. Which do you prefer?

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

I really have to say >> It will depend on the situation!

greets
cosmowe