Smooth playback - what am I missing?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
TomaSusi
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Smooth playback - what am I missing?

Post by TomaSusi »

I have a jitter problem which very much sounds like what goto10 was describing on Feb 20, 2012 (viewtopic.php?p=35108#p35108).

I'm running Resolume 4 on a top-of-the-line March 2011 MBP, with DXV clips at 720p on the internal SSD. I consistently get very nice FPS with the global filters off, but still the output image seems to jitter slightly but very uncomfortably. My source material is varied, with clips from movies, documentaries, web video etc, so framerates might well vary. Thus I suspect this is the issue.

Is there some surefire combination of compressor framerate, Resolume settings, and projector resolution that would guarantee (or at least help with) smooth playback? I am using native 720p via HDMI.

In all other ways, version 4 really kicks ass!

bucketothought

Post by bucketothought »

Hi, I am also having smooth playback issues, I'm running Avenue 4.1 with 1080 Quicktime DXV clips on an AlienWare laptop. The laptop has an NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M, and its an i7 quad core processor.
The jitter is slight and only on some clips, but its really noticeable on smooth movement.

Otherwise Resolume is an incredibly robust and powerful system.

Any suggestions appreciated.

meta

Post by meta »

Hello to all,

We just bought resolume arena for a mapping installation in a museum, and I confirm same problem here.

We use non-standard video sizes (i.e. 2450x1050) to match geometry of the architecture, then slice and warp output for two projectors with 1400x1050 native resolutions.

Output monitor shows a stable 59~60 fps, but actual output has random stuttering.
Clips are 25 fps encoded with DXV codec and play absolutely smoothly in quicktime.
Problem is much worse when I drop clip audio (Uncompressed PCM) on the clip and use it as transport.

Please give this issue a high priority to fix.
We can not keep it this way in a museum.
Thanks

TomaSusi

Post by TomaSusi »

It would be nice to get any sort of reply from the Resolume team..

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

We are working on this so please do send us a test video which exhibits the stutters but we can not guarantee a short term fix for this.

meta

Post by meta »

My clip is too big (6GB) for the sort of internet I have.
And the stuttering happens randomly in different parts of the clip, so I don't think I can cut a specific part.
I hope others have better debugging material for you.

pupdogg

Post by pupdogg »

We are exhibiting the same issues with a very powerful machine. We even see this behavior with footage bought directly from Resolume.com at 640x480 resolution.

Our Rig (HP z800 Workstation):
- 2 x Intel Xeon E5645 @ 2.40Ghz (24 core)
- 96GB RAM
- Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
- NVIDIA Quadro 4000 Graphics Card
- 2 x 256GB SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B in Raid0 Configuration
- Resolume Arena 4.1.2

As for a test clip, this footage clip http://resolume.com/footage/fingerprint#Fingerprint-12 gives jitters on the wall rotation. We are to a point where guests at our events wonder why some of the video playback was choppy. Some even come by and recommend that we upgrade our video cards for a better performance. But we don't feel that is the case. Our computer plays back any other video (regardless of the size) just fine using Windows Media Player & K-Lite codec pack.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Can you film the screen, so we have an idea of the degree of stuttering?

Are you using the PJpeg or DXV version of FingerPrint?

bildwerk
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by bildwerk »

bart wrote:We are working on this so please do send us a test video which exhibits the stutters but we can not guarantee a short term fix for this.
any news on the framedrop issue?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

It's actually the exact opposite of a framedrop issue. What the majority of the people in this thread are experiencing is that the clip's fps does not sync up to the output monitor's refresh rate.

Let's say you are playing a 25 fps clip on a 60Hz monitor. This means that most frames will be displayed during 2 Hz, but a few will displayed during 3HZ. If you are playing footage that has a slow constant movement in it, your eyes will perceive this difference in display duration as a slowdown or frame drop.

We have made some headway in this department, but we haven't managed to lock it 100%.