dxv issue

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
bildwerk
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

dxv issue

Post by bildwerk »

Hey guys,

gery from 4youreye found a bug in the dxv codec. i could reproduce it on my computer as well. the codec creates a little bit of noise on high contrast edges.
i uploaded two videos (full-hd) of the same animation (just a logo rotating). you can see in the dxv version, that for instance on the letters of "radio" there is a noise on the letters, which isn't in the h264 version. i also tried rendering lossless and it was not there either, so we suppose it's from the dxv codec.

you can download the videos here: http://www.bildwerk.tv/resolume/
note: movement in the video starts at 00:08

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: dxv issue

Post by Joris »

DXV is not a lossless codec. It does not apply temporal compression, so the reduced data size is attained by (among others) estimating the color of a pixel by looking at its neighboring pixels. This gives the difference in result you are seeing between the two clips.

So unfortunately it's not a bug. If this is the only content playing at one time, perhaps the fps when using the h264 version is high enough to get away with?

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

That's exactly the reason why I yesterday have to recommend another media software to my client.
I'm so sorry resolume!

My client asked me to play a background in full HD...and they gave me two full HD clips with alpha.
They used QT Animation codec.

First I tried to play them as the clips came from the client in Animation codec.
Result: fps break down from 60 to 29 + no straight alpha option

Then I converted the clips to DXV.
Result: Great fps + straight and good looking alpha + noisy edges, little flickerpixels in the background...

ENDRESULT:
The screensize will be 16mtr. X 9mtr. .... so the audience WILL recognize the flickering and the noisy edges.
So I have to recommend another media software for this particular event!

Greetz
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Please send us one of your files so we can have a look. We have some plans on improving image quality and this could be a good test file. If you could send us a snippet of the original file we can have a look.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

Yes I will send you the files....just have to ask for permission. Please hold the line!
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar