Resolume 4 and Live 8 - synced on a single computer :]

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
the_psychologist
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Resolume 4 and Live 8 - synced on a single computer :]

Post by the_psychologist »

Hi

After completing my biggest booking for the summer, I have decided to take a couple months off from VJing in order to start developing a full audio/visual act.

I have successfully installed both Midi Yoke and another MIDI utility, and both allow me to route the clock from Live to Avenue. Avenue picks up the clock and seems to stay synced.

The problem is when I go to the next level and try to pass midi "through" Live and create mappings in Resolume. The official docs suggest that we create a MIDI clip inside Live, start looping a note, then map that MIDI note to a clip in Resolume. This is achieved by entering Comp MIDI map mode and waiting for the MIDI signal from Live to arrive and get mapped to the chosen clip. HOWEVER, Resolume 4 freezes all day long when I try to complete this step. As soon as it receives the MIDI note from Live, the program hangs endlessly.

I have had many crashes related to MIDI in Resolume (even just opening the MIDI prefs), but this seems excessive. Is Resolume just very unstable with MIDI-related stuff?

I would like to trigger a song in Live, which will also trigger a "stem" video clip in Resolume. Match the tone of the visuals to the tone of the music, then build little loops and whatnot on top. When I turn an audio effect knob, it will also drive a visual effect in Resolume. The same stuff they show in official docs and tutorials. So I'm basically stuck until I figure out why Resolume is crashing.

Ideas? Thanks!
Last edited by the_psychologist on Thu Aug 30, 2012 20:45, edited 2 times in total.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Resolume 4 and Live 8 - sharing MIDI

Post by Joris »

What you are trying to do should definitely be possible, and Resolume is usually rock solid with a setup like this. We wouldn't make a video explaining how to do it if it was flakey.

Please contact us with your logfile and more details about your setup. With the info you are providing here it is very hard for us to help you, since we don't even know what OS or Resolume version you're on.

the_psychologist

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
8GB 1600MhZ RAM
i7 3610QM

Ableton Live 8
Resolume 4.1 (purchased both 3 and 4)
loopMIDI

I tried creating two ports and separating the clock from the passthrough, but still no luck. Resolume just crashes and stays frozen, even when I close Live, loopMIDI, etc.. it just stays frozen until I terminate or reboot.

The passthrough in particular is the issue. Because MIDI segnals get trapped by a single app, the passthrough needs to be enabled for me to control Live and Resolume with the same controller moves. I can't map MIDI inside Live then do the same thing in Avenue, because Live has already trapped the input. The passthrough solves all this, but is not working for me.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Can you please contact us with your logfile?

the_psychologist

Getting there, will send one asap.

the_psychologist

FYI the basic setup worked fine on my desktop PC :] As long as I can get it to work on one computer, then I have more confidence. I will return to the notebook once I get more answers.

New problems -

What I'm trying to do is route the sampler from Live into Resolume, and be able to use the isolated samples to drive the Audio FFT functions in Resolume. So Live would be controlling all the audio channels, but Resolume would only be reacting to the sampler channel. Is it possible to selectively route audio from Live to Resolume in this way? I want to have a reactive element in the visuals that ONLY reacts to the vocal samples I play, not the entire spectrum of sound.

Also - Can you shed some light on this? http://www.herculesdjmixroom.com/en-gb/ ... re/000840/

I cannot get many of the controls to map in Resolume when I'm trying to use Remote/passthrough from Live. I have the clock shared via loopMIDI, and that works OK. But then I try to use the passthrough to map the same controls in Resolume, and it seems to be hugely latent. So I can make a fader move in Live that is very smooth, but it lags like crazy inside Resolume. So much latency that you cannot make any fast moves. Is this a case where I need to convert the MIDI messages using a utility like MIDIOX? So then the same message will be sent to both Live and Resolume and should work just as well in both programs?

Please advise, I am yet again on my own here.

Thanks

the_psychologist

Bueller? Thanks

the_psychologist

From the support email address:
The control problems you mention sound like an issue with midi-remote in Live. Live will only send out the last midi value it has received. So when you are moving a fader, it will not send out any values until you stop moving it. For workarounds for this, it's best to check the Ableton forums or support.
The thing that confuses me is that I thought Resolume & Live integration was an officially-supported feature? But surely this problem kind of ruins the fun? You basically have to slooowly make fader moves and then wait for the values to catch up. You could not perform this way.

Would love to solve this :]

Joris

Post by Joris »

We can't fix something which is not a part of our software. You can check the midi coming out of Live with midiOX, and you'll see there's only one message, sent after you stop moving the fader.

Strangely enough, it doesn't affect all setups. Midi over Ethernet setups seem to work fine.

the_psychologist

But you think there's a solution on the Live side of things? This must have come up before...?