Who provides the 3d model in a car projection?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
arindamliveguitar
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Who provides the 3d model in a car projection?

Post by arindamliveguitar »

This might seem like a silly question but when it comes to projection mapping on a car, and that too for the car company, is it expected that the car company itself will provide a 3d model of the car that they are looking to map or is it expected that the artist himself will have to create the 3d model from scratch and then come up with the animation?

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Who provides the 3d model in a car projection?

Post by pfelberg »

I will consider that the car company doesn´t even know that the animation is based on a 3D car model. ; )
They hired you for a solution. The solution englobes everything, including modeling or scanning the car and obviously you should charge for it.
They want the final product to look good and they don´t care much on how you are going to achieve it, actually.

In the other hand, you know that they most probably have the 3D model of the car.
I don´t see why not to ask for the existent model they have, but there are important things to be considered:
- Their model might be considered classified for any reason, meaning no way they would provide it to an outsider;
- You should present positive points to the project, concerning they providing you the model, so there´s the possibility they might agree on it:
a) You just need the outside of the car - not interiors, engines, mechanics or electrical;
b) It may be a medium resolution model, perhaps;
c) It will definitely reduce the project's costs to them;
d) it is a guarantee that there will be no discrepancies between the model and the real car;
e) the project development will run faster.

That´s my two cents on it.

arindamliveguitar
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by arindamliveguitar »

Thanks pfelberg for the reply. Yeah i was thinking the same thing considering that 3d modelling would be in fact such an integral part of a car model production process and it is I think safe to say that even with an artist modelling a car from its blueprints , it would still someway fall short from the actual 3d model using which the cars are being manufactured. But i get what you are saying. Thanks :)

MkUltra
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by MkUltra »

Car guys are usually jerks.

Sorry, that's just been my experience... I've done work for EVERY japanese car manufacturer and a couple of the Big Three in the US, and their marketing teams (who you're probably dealing with) never play nice with the mfg or product teams, so getting a 3D model is gonna be tough. Too many people who can say "no", not enough that can say "yes".

Your best bet is to buy an unauthorized 3D model (assuming you're gig isn't for a 2016 model or something) from a 3D model library or do your own scan, and bill them.