custom masking in the Output Transformation, not Input Sel?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
turiel
Is taking Resolume on a second date

custom masking in the Output Transformation, not Input Sel?

Post by turiel »

Would be nice to be able to add a mask in the output transformation menu, not the input selection. After transformation the mask can get out of shape. But more importantly to me I want to be able to project the same layer with two projectors, yet be able to mask each individually.
Is this possible?
Here's what I mean (rough illustration, mask is in red, not black):
http://i.imgur.com/5M6a7NQ.png

Here's what I tried to do and felt the need for this:
I was projecting a video on the wall, and also on a white box in front of it with another projector.
The first one needed a mask so it wouldn't project on the box itself.
If I'd create a mask in the Input Selection menu, that would affect both projectors.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: custom masking in the Output Transformation, not Input S

Post by Oaktown »

Assuming you're on Arena 5, you can use the Virtual Output to do what you want.
  • Set one screen with one slice that has the layer or any input you want to show as input source
    Let's rename the screen "Virtual Screen"
    Create other screens and set the first slice to be have "Virtual Screen" as it's input source.
    Create mask(s) on top of the first slice you just created and modify/adjust as you need.
Any change you make to the slice in "Virtual Screen" will be shown on your screens that use it so one change does it all.

Note that if you use Matrox TH2G or DH2G/Datapath X4 hardware, you could use the same Virtual Screen as input source of multiple slices in the same screen but that only works with masks not crops.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

If you create a mask via the + button in advanced output (Add Mask in Res 4.) is will show up in the output tab and is independent from any slices and transformations you make in the input.

If you create a mask within a slice, then the transformations will apply to the mask too.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

turiel

Post by turiel »

How are you able to create a Mask "within" a slice?
Both if I have a slice selected or not, and whether im in Output or Inpout window of the Advanced screen, when I add a Mask it is independent...

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

On the input selection of a slice, you should see Masks options on the right side menu. When you create the mask, it will be indented below the slice it masks and if you duplicate the slice, it will duplicate the mask as well.

turiel

Post by turiel »

I don't see any masks in the list of Inputs...

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Can anyone explain to me why regular output masks are not the right solution for this use case?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I guess the fundamental question is whether there is only one right solution or multiple valid approaches based on personal preferences!

At least now Turiel (and any one reading this thread) has various options to address his masking problem.

turiel

Post by turiel »

i'll have to ask again how to create a Mask within a slice. Both in Input or Output window if I add a Mask it jumps to the Output window and the Mask is independent.
http://i.imgur.com/iQmhXwo.png

And again, I don't see any masks in the list of Inputs, not like I understood what that would do, but still, in the image above there is none.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu