How To code ALPHA channel in your Video-Editing sofware

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Ruud
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

How To code ALPHA channel in your Video-Editing sofware

Post by Ruud »

What about, editing video, cut out the subject/object where it is all about and leave the background ALPHA instead of black white or so on...

That would be great in Resolume, because the A At Da Li modes can never be of such good quality as an alpha channel inside your video sample. (like .png in picture files)

Question is:

Which video codec is best capable to handle alpha channel, and is also capable for live performance!

I have done some research,

-I suppose quicktime .mov can include alpha layer, not sure about that!
-Ligos Indeo 5.11 has an Alpha channel option when coding
-there is something like the Animation codec :S dunno what that is but it says it has huge amounts of data rates
-Targa sequence, even bigger filesizes

2nd Question,

How to change a black or white background (blue green or whatever) in to an alpha layer with 0% opacity!!!

Am I in the right direction? Can anyone help me out, thanks!

CheerS!
:cool:

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

we have done some tests with aftereffects but it seems impossible to render an avi with an alpha channel with the indeo 5.1 codec. It is possible when rendering a quicktime with the indeo codec bet the alpha channel that is rendered seems to be only 1 bit. (so either transparant or not and nothing in between.

if anyone finds a sollution to render video,s with a propper codec with a normal alpa channel we will build-in support for it in resolume.

;-D

levon
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by levon »

ill have a play round, and see if i can find anything that can.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

very intresting if it would be possible! I'm gonna do some testing with the above listed codecs too,

every night i dream about alpha channels ;);)

that would be just wonderful, great! I was reading on vjforums that says some other VJ software would be able to handle alpha layers, in combination with raid-0 drivers and big uncompressed video samples 32 bit targa for example and 20 x amount of filesize/datarate.

bart> q:"It is possible when rendering a quicktime with the indeo codec but the alpha channel that is rendered seems to be only 1 bit. "

ok so it is only 1 bit, can't you make resolume handle the alpha 0% or 100% so there is a possibility to make video samples semi-trasparant?

cheers

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I love Alpha

Ruud

Post by Ruud »

I'm sorry forgot to login, above 2 posts are not Anonymous anymore.

I figured out there are many was to implant Alpha channels in non Alpha-channel footage. Still dreaming!

bye for now

levon

Post by levon »

i found quicktime TGA keeps the alpha inside the movie, and it actualy already works in resolume, but only using it as a 1bit channel.

Ruud

Post by Ruud »

As I'm reading about Alpha channels,

8 bit Alpha channel should be enough, because it can have 256 different vallues of 'greys'.
This links tells a little about Alpha channels and the difference between 1bit and 8bit.

Maybe not new to you guys, but it is new to me.

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/re ... ency.shtml

So let's see if there's an codec that can include an 8 bit alpha channel and is suitable for resolume too! I'm really enthousiast about this new stuff because in my opinion it opens loads of possibility's when preparing footage!

Cheers

Ruud

Post by Ruud »

guess i found something 8 bit!!

FRWA Forward Motion JPEG with alpha channel SoftLab-Nsk A version of motion JPEG as used in the Forward project from SoftLab-Nsk. This format also includes an 8-bit alpha channel per image.

:)

And maybe even better!!!

http://www.bitjazz.com/ // Special Codec for Visaul Jockeys!

Cheers!

[Edited on 24-2-2005 by Ruud]

levon

Post by levon »

what i ment by
i found quicktime TGA keeps the alpha inside the movie, and it actualy already works in resolume, but only using it as a 1bit channel.
is that it only suports 1 bit in resolume atm, the format does suport an 8bit alpha channel.