Myo Armbands

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
saeedq
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Myo Armbands

Post by saeedq »

So just happened to come across Myo armbands.They look dope, but i dont see much action from VJs using it.Wondering why hasn't it caught on..by the looks of it seems like a pretty handy tool to have in your arsenal.I have been thinking to give it a try but would want a second opinion from the more seasoned members here.So guys what do you think.Pros and cons. Let me know.Thanks!

Meptik
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Myo Armbands

Post by Meptik »

We had some before and ended up returning them. They take a bit of time to calibrate and et going - the sensors need time to warm up to your skin. Also, each user that wears it needs a profile calibrated to themselves, which has to be setup ahead of time. They worked just ok, but weren't perceive enough for what we needed them to do.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

They're crazy expensive unless you buy in bulk (over a quarter million). Have looked into them for tours, as well as for our local nba team.
It uses RF freq to fire them, so you'll need to do some dmx fixture setup for the rf antennas.

It's a cool effect, but if you plan on re-using it, good luck getting people to return them :/

saeedq

Post by saeedq »

dinga wrote:They're crazy expensive unless you buy in bulk (over a quarter million). Have looked into them for tours, as well as for our local nba team.
It uses RF freq to fire them, so you'll need to do some dmx fixture setup for the rf antennas.

It's a cool effect, but if you plan on re-using it, good luck getting people to return them :/
i was lookin to use it along with my apc mini midi..for simple functions when playing like triggering clips,effects,knobs etc..its about 200 dollars now for one band, if it can make a considerable difference while playing live i think its worth it..Will look into it more on how to go about it with a dmx fixture setup..thanks for the reply..much appreciated.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Sorry Saeedq. I misread this title as http://xylobands.com/ :lol: Completely different than the Myo bands. Please disregard my last message. If you can get a translator app, It might work pretty well for you? There a some people using Kinects and Touch Designer to achieve the same goal as you (I think Armin Van Buren even has some special gloves he uses to control lighting and lasers?)

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I guess you saw this already but...
phpBB [video]
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

saeedq

Post by saeedq »

dinga wrote:Sorry Saeedq. I misread this title as http://xylobands.com/ :lol: Completely different than the Myo bands. Please disregard my last message. If you can get a translator app, It might work pretty well for you? There a some people using Kinects and Touch Designer to achieve the same goal as you (I think Armin Van Buren even has some special gloves he uses to control lighting and lasers?)
:lol: .. i was a lil confused about the RF signals n all..but thought it might be something related which i have no knowledge of as i still consider my self novice in this regard.Yea i saw Armin's video but i was lookin at a first hand experience from someone here.Anyways, guess will have to take the plunge to find out.Cheers!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

As I recall, the Armin team was using the Myo armband to sync lights and video during the 'ping-pong' moment (where Armin waves his arms from left to right in time with the pings). In the end it turned out it was just way less hassle to have the operator do it manually, syncing it by eye.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

My thoughts as well.

If you reach out to Daniel Schaeffer on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/daniel.schaeffer.319

He is a ninja (Seriously!! He's half Ninja on his mom's side...) with Touch Designer. He uses kinects to achieve very similar effect for his projects. He might be able to point you in the right direction?
Check out the Touch Designer group on FB as well.

saeedq

Post by saeedq »

Joris wrote:As I recall, the Armin team was using the Myo armband to sync lights and video during the 'ping-pong' moment (where Armin waves his arms from left to right in time with the pings). In the end it turned out it was just way less hassle to have the operator do it manually, syncing it by eye.
hmmm..but armin was playing music too..so i guess too much on his plate