laptop performance

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Jeff Kenney_

Post by Jeff Kenney_ »

I think the new version rocks.. Im frantically trying to get everything fully to par within the trial period before i finally break down and buy this software :)

im curious to what kinda performance other people are getting on a lappy in resolume.. im going to post a clip on my website.. if your really hardcore download it and tell me if it plays smooth..

I use a pro-star 1.0 lappy with 128 meg ram, and an external 80gig 7200rpm firewire drive.

I have to output the second monitor at 640x480(32).. for some reason 24 (or was it 16) seems to be choppier.. im scaling to 640x480.. my high data-rate stuff is all 640x480.. i find if i try to output lower rez that it will actually be choppier in playback..

When I add an effect i'd say framerate drops to around 20-25 frames a sec on 640x480 stuff(is there a way to see fps while playing?? if not that'd be a great feature).. granted it's still very usable and doesnt lag so much as for me not to want to use it.. (and im very picky about quality, res, fps)

I'm just wondering if the 1ghz is my video 'bottleneck'.. i hear people talk about mixing 2-3 layers and having 4 effects on all the time.. but i just cant see that happening with the type of clips im trying to play (without going to a fullsize pc)

anyways my clip is here.. its just a dj name loop.. but its the easiest to see lag on
http://www.fucdup.com/avi

please take a sec to download this avi and see if you get flawless playback :)

ether_warptv_

Post by ether_warptv_ »

Hi Jeff

- i'll think you'll find everyone who talks about 3 layers + 4 effects is talking about 320x240 (myself included).
I have tested a geforce4 4600Ti which played 3 layers of 640x480 at a reasonable framerate (~25), but dropped as soon as effects went on.
Personally, my style of visuals is often heavily layered (video + flash), mixed through a hardware mixer - so it does tend to look a little "soft" on the big screen. It's something i'm hoping to improve on as graphics cards get better (majority of the processing is done on the graphics card, not by the processor).
Currently i use a full size PC, but should be this week receiving a new shuttle format PC (very small) - it has one AGP slot and one PCI slot and is very portable.
Hope thats of some help/info.

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

i'm downloading the file right now. You will see that version beta 3 (or 4) will work better in higher resolutions. But using alphablending will bring down the fps a lot. On my machine 640x480 is running fine with all kinds of effects and using lumakeying and transparency. But when you start Blending pixel by pixel it will slow down a lot. We are aslways working on this. So maybe in the future it will be fast enough.
Maybe we put an fps counter in it in the future.

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Hi Jeff,
i just tested your avi. I tested it together with a identical sort of file with the same length and codec and resolution. It seems that my files are way faster when beldning. My file is twice the size of your file. My data rate is much higher as well, 1803kbps against your 1131kbps. Maybe you compressed the file too much. Try getting the file somewhat bigger and less compressed.
cheers