laptops

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
naive_

Post by naive_ »

this is not really resolume based but a general vj question, thinking bout' getting a laptop for gigs, what makes have dual output? is it possible to get a dual out video card for any laptop? ideally i would lika a set up with both dual out and video in dirt cheap :-) ideas?

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

If you are going to buy a laptop make sure you get one with the new nVidia GeForce2 Go graphics chip. This is the mobile version of the Geforce 2 MX card, and it fast! This chip has twinview so running dual monitor should be no problem. Be sure to check this first before you spend your money though!

I know that the Dell inspiron 8000 notebook has this chip and features a 1 Ghz pentium3, 256 Mb RAM, firewire and a massive 15 inch 1600*1200 resolution TFT screen. (personaly i,d love to have two of these ;-)

You can also look at the more high end sony VIAO's, they have dualmonitor, tv-out and vga out, but they are even more expensive then the Dell's.

pascal_

Post by pascal_ »

problem to find a good laptop( plll +)with good video card??????????????to run resolume
it's an urgence
tx

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

aka_

Post by aka_ »

i have been looking for a laptop
that can handle two screens
(the laptop screen + an external monitor)

not just replicate the same screen
but show 2 different images
and be able to scroll the mouse from one screen to the other

and it is very very hard to get the real information
i even called dell in france, but their answer was not clear enough...

the guy told me the inspiron 8200 + getforce 4 64Mo
cannot do it !!!

he said the only dell laptop that does it
are the M50 workstation...

I know all the apple G4 titaniums
have dual dispaly included !

I would love to have a list of the good
pc laptops that can do that too !!!

help :)

aka

fool_

Post by fool_ »

what I know is that you can have two different output, on two different screen, with your mouse going from one screen to the other... with to virtually any laptop with two output...
the point is that the total amount of video memory and the speed of the video chip determine the possibility to use it for vjstuff..
for instance, I cant enjoy resolume as I have a 128mb ram PIII800 HP laptop, two output, W2000pro, but the video card is nothing special, 16 mb ram but slow so slow... sigh... therefore I am going to buy a desktop.

fool_

Post by fool_ »

I forgot, all my tests were with W98... and it was too slow... then I installed W2000pro.... and even no dualmon support.

mark_

Post by mark_ »

we'llive bought an inspiron 8000 from dell. it's got besides of the standard tft a monitor output and a tv output, also a firewire output..... you can run them (tv+monitor+tft) the same time... also as different device's.

zohar_

Post by zohar_ »

hello
i have a compaq presario laptop p3 256mb winxp
it has a 32 mb video card with tv out thus it doesnt support dual monitor (interface in one and the final out put on the other) can i do something to help me work with resolume in gigs
help
thanks in advance
zohar

Thijs_

Post by Thijs_ »

I just bought an Asus laptop.

It's got an ATI Radeon Mobility video card. This card can do all the stuff you want. And it's very fast in 3D applications.

I would look for a notebook with this videocard/