ms pinky implement midi out!

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Mudo
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: ms pinky implement midi out!

Post by Mudo »

The refresh rate is too high (20) nowadays but It could be logic control the same as midi (without its limitations)

The bad thing I use OSX and I'm not Resolume user (but Ms. Pinky user)

adrock42
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by adrock42 »

this is totally possible with osc. I got it to work in VDMX and now im trying RA. i cant figure out how to get osc into this thing though, but the quartz composition I built will have to drive the timeline under clip properties > transport .

im just testing right now, but I trigger the clip in column 1 on layer 3 and try to send osc data to it but cant get anything in. im sending the data from my quartz composition to /layer3/clip1/video/position/values. is this correct? i have read thru the OSC part of the manual like 10 times. am I missing something?!?

the manual says the position parameter has a value of 0 to 1 (float) and I have tried with float data and string data.

also, is there a plugin api?

btw. I am new to resolume so be nice.

ni-cad
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by ni-cad »

I've been having midi problems using pinky/Resolume actually so I'm trying to swich to osc, I've never used it before though. It seems ms pinky is a stable app but I'm not sure whether Resolume has the stability yet.

Did you have any luck with osc in the end? I know some people have.

adrock42

Post by adrock42 »

if you'd like to play and your on OSX try this -> http://break42.com/pinky/pinkyAvenue.qtz
that is offered as a super alpha, im not gonna help you if you blow up your machine license.
it uses the the OSC out of Maxi Patch 3.7.0 and translates it to something resolume can use. Right now due to the way Resolume handles OSC the left pinky deck controls layer 2 clip 1 and the right controls layer 2 clip 2.

1. Start up Maxi Patch 3.7.0 and make sure it is receiving signal from your decks. Make sure you set the correct signal type (gen5 CD, gen4 vinyl, etc ). Drop the movies audio on the deck that you plan on using with the video.
I set up the OSC I/O in Maxi Patch as follows
left deck
destination IP address: 127.0.0.1, destination port: 1242, prefix string for vinyl position: /pink/posl, enable only position
right deck
same as above, but prefix string for vinyl position: /pink/pos

2. open the quartz patch. hit command t to get the options. you must set the length of each movie in seconds. you should un-enable OSC and enable the display. see if its receiving signal. the little dot will spin on each deck. if no workie go to 1.

3. In resolume put the necessary videos in the necessary clip spots (layer2 clip1 & layer 3 clip1). load them to play on the layer and make sure to hit pause. pinky's is going to push that video. In the prefs enable osc and set the port to 1234. uncheck the bundles.

This is a really early implementation. Hopefully, soon, we can assign osc to the currently playing clip on a layer, but resolume doesn't have that yet. Further work could also be done with the Pinky Libs so that resolume can just accept the signal.

adrock42

Post by adrock42 »

OSC is defiantly better the MIDI in this scope. midi is good for triggering

ni-cad

Post by ni-cad »

Blast I'm on windows :(

I don't know how to convert that scale, Gav recomended Bome's. . . . . I don't even know what that is :mrgreen:

gavspav

Post by gavspav »

Bome's is good for midi but don't think it does osc.

I've attached a converter for Plogue Bidule. All it does is divide the value you sends it and passes it on to Resolume.

You must download the demo of Plogue Bidule: http://www.plogue.com/index.php?option= ... ilecatid=1

Unzip the attached archive and load the bidule.

In Plogue go to tools>OSC server. Set the port to 3210 and apply and tick the enable box.

In Pinky set the port to 3210 and the bottom string value to /msp/pod

In Plogue there is an OSC monitor - Tools>Osc Monitor (tick the enable box).

You should be getting values in.

Not sure if you'll have to do this step> In Plogue> Tools>OSC Client> Add.

In the rt hand boxes enter Resolume, 127.0.0.1 and 7000 respectively. Apply and enable client.

Right click the OSC Creator and go to the Send to OSC Servers - make sure it is set to Resolume.

Now if you double click the variabale box and enter the value you want to divide by to get a sensible read out in Resolume ie to scale your value down to between 0 and 1.

I'm sure by this stage you will be totally confused and it won't work but hey thats computers.

I just threw this together very quickly, it is extremely unsophisticated and may well contain errors! As I havent got Pinky set up I can't test it.

Hopefully its enough to get you started? It makes no allowance whatsoever for clip length. You'll have to work out the relationship between the variable and the length yourself.
Attachments
cheap_pinky_conversion.rar
(1003 Bytes) Downloaded 1175 times

ni-cad

Post by ni-cad »

Nice one Gav, thanks mate, I'll test it out asap and try to work through any problems. The clip length doesnt worrie me as long as it's long enough to contain the area I wan't to scratch then I don't mind, I'll try and work to a long ish clip that will always be over what I'm likely to need. It may take me a couple of days to work through your instructions and I'll post any questions I have back here.

Some other Good new's, It look's like Scott is going to add a scaling feature to maxi patch specifically to allow for compatibility between maxi and Resolume, I don't know how long it will take him though, but it looks like all my pestering him might have paid off. :mrgreen:

adrock42

Post by adrock42 »

I don't know how to convert that scale
the osc implementation syncs the video to the audio like timecode. works really good for absolute mode in pinkys. the scale i think your talking about is the 65220 (about) "ticks" that pinkys uses to tell where the needle is on the record. this is over 12:40 (with gen5 CDs, seems like the gen4 vinyl is the same way but no way to be certain. e.g. analog device). the math that is in that quartz composer patch handles cutting off what will not be included at the end of the file and sets everything in sync. Sorry about windows tho. i know a great way out of that (OSx86), but, another discussion for another time. :D
I'll try and work to a long ish clip that will always be over what I'm likely to need. It may take me a couple of days to work through your instructions and I'll post any questions I have back here.
i've found that you should set your clips up like a scratch record. make em long with a bunch of samples right after eachother. Again, your going to have to clip off the end there with some math unless your videos are 12:40. here is the basics of the math:

OSC between 0 & 1 = -172+Pinky Signal Value/(MediaTime*86.1328125)
the 86.132... is the amount of "ticks" per second. the -172 is an offset to wait for pinky to start. the 172 seems to change a bit with each deck that I use. when i use my sl-dz1200s its around 80. and when i use my 1200M3ds its around 170. the math should be 172, but it seems like a tuning thing. BTW, my DZ1200s sending the pinky signal via spdif is dope. the error metric is always about 0.0002. it feels like a pioneer dvj :D. at first I thought the scale was a more complicated exponential decay equation, but it's actually quite easy.

you have to sample and hold the Pinky signal because it drops out some times, so if it drops to zero you have to take the last signal. The logic is like:
if(Pinky Signal == 0){
grab the last signal and send that
}

this could all be handled with a MAX/MSP+Pinky Libs application, but no body wants to share. i've never used bidule, but it looks to be about the same kind of thing. if there is a math patch in bidule see if the above stuff will work and have a look at this -> http://www.mspinky.com/SoftwareSpec_0.0.4.pdf
Some other Good new's, It look's like Scott is going to add a scaling feature to maxi patch specifically to allow for compatibility between maxi and Resolume, I don't know how long it will take him though, but it looks like all my pestering him might have paid off.
thats great! and bad at the same time cause i spent quite while with the quartz composer patch. Oh well, i'm using it in shows now, so i guess that's the price i pay. what kind of scaling feature tho. will it set the values between 0 & 1, and/or scale the osc to the clip length

lastly, was this discussion writen up on createdigitalmotion.com. someone told me there was some press.

ni-cad

Post by ni-cad »

They've just released the new version with the added scaling feature, they basically put this feature in for us Resolume users :D isn't that nice of em, I think it's really cool!!

So, I'm still a little unfamilar with osc in Resolume, can anyone tell me if the way I have this set up is right?

It looks right to me, clip is on layer 1, clip 1, I think the port and address is right, but. . . . maybe there's just something I'm not getting? I'm trying to link the y-rotation at the moment.
Attachments
Pinky osc scale.png
Pinky osc scale.png (58.72 KiB) Viewed 17929 times