Parameter animation curves

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Conduit
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Parameter animation curves

Post by Conduit »

Apologies if this one's been said already - I didn't see anything, but I'm new to the forums so I might have just missed it.

I've always felt that the 'Clip Position' and 'BPM Sync' parameter animation modes were one of Resolume's best features. That said, I would love to see them replaced with something that allows finer control over the parameter based on the relative position within the source. The ability to draw a curve defining the parameter value at a given position would be extremely powerful... I'm thinking something similar to Ableton Live's automation envelope:

Drawing the red lines determines the value of a parameter at a given point in the animation... Food for thought :)
Last edited by Conduit on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Re: Parameter animation curves

Post by cosmowe »

Hi Conduit,
maybe the easing parameters which you can define for mostly every parameter will nearly fulfil your needs? ;)
Unbenannt.png

Enjoy!
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Conduit

Post by Conduit »

They don't hurt, but they're no match for a greater degree of control. You could, for example, automate the x/y positioning of a clip, ensuring that the repositioned clip always stayed centered over a certain part of a moving image from another clip in the column... Doesn't matter where the certain part is as long as the parameters are automated properly and both clips are synced.

ReggieUnderground
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by ReggieUnderground »

Have you tried Vezér? http://vezerapp.hu

Conduit

Post by Conduit »

That is PRECISELY what I'm talking about! Unfortunately the program is Mac-only... This did bring my attention to the extreme level to which Resolume exposes itself to OSC, though - I'm pretty code-savvy, so perhaps I will make a similar software package. If this gets past the planning stage I'll be sure to keep everyone posted in the developers subforum :)

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Conduit wrote:That is PRECISELY what I'm talking about! Unfortunately the program is Mac-only... This did bring my attention to the extreme level to which Resolume exposes itself to OSC, though - I'm pretty code-savvy, so perhaps I will make a similar software package. If this gets past the planning stage I'll be sure to keep everyone posted in the developers subforum :)
http://www.duration.cc/ Does what you want and its multi platform.
You could also use touch designer.
Both are free for timeline and OSC!

thedawjones
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by thedawjones »

You can create midi clips with pitch bend curves in ableton,
route the track to resolume and map the curve to whatever you wish.
This enables you to have as many predefined triggers/curves as you wish,
and the ability to launch/sequence and they will never lose time.
There is also no need to midi/sync bpm since your clips are quantised in ableton.
This will save you some overhead.
IMO if you are using ableton(or any software with midi out/envelope editing) for audio in your performance, presently ,this is the easiest method for mapping animation curves in Resolume. :)

Conduit

Post by Conduit »

Great responses, guys - I'll be exploring all of these options. After a cursory glance Duration, it looks like it'd integrate extremely well with my other projects... That might be my final choice on the basis of versatility alone.

Edit: From a brief glance at the way OSC connections work, it looks like any OSC commands sent to a parameter on a given clip will follow the active clip in the layer... If a different clip in the same layer is triggered, then the OSC commands sent to the old clip will be sent to the corresponding parameter on the newly triggered clip. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

Hmmm...its also possible to build something like vezer with the lemur (liine)...but it also will be a lot of work ;)

Greetz
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

.lov.
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by .lov. »

Conduit wrote:Edit: From a brief glance at the way OSC connections work, it looks like any OSC commands sent to a parameter on a given clip will follow the active clip in the layer... If a different clip in the same layer is triggered, then the OSC commands sent to the old clip will be sent to the corresponding parameter on the newly triggered clip. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
It depends on the commands. If you send OSC to the active clip, for example: /activeclip/video/opacity/values then the command will always affect to active clip. As far I know, you cannot send OSC to a given clip per layer, just for the active (selected) one. I am not totally sure about this.

On the layers side, you can use the activelayer keyword if you want to control to selected layer, but you can also send command to a specific layer, so both /activelayer/video/opacity/values and /layer1/video/opacity/values will work.