Clip random duration

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Clip random duration

Post by Oaktown »

It'd be great to have the ability to set the duration of a clip to a random duration with a Min and Max.

That feature would also be even better if these values could be assigned on batch imports. That way, when I import a large number of clips I don't have to set the duration for each one of them if I want to create autopilot scenarios where I use the [Play Random Clip].

And this would be even better if there was an option for the random duration to be different (but within the range) on every clip launch.

RycoDePsyco
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Clip random duration

Post by RycoDePsyco »

+2

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Noted.

Since you seem to be pretty handy with the OSC side of things, it might be useful to know that you can force an autopilot action by clicking the button again.

So if the Layer autopilot is set to random, pressing the RR button again will play the next random clip, even before the previous clip had reached its end.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Thanks Joris,

The RR via OSC trick is a good one to know but I think that would work well when working with limited layers or clips.

I'm after the illusion of randomness so having the random feature with Min/Max at the clip level would really let me fine tune my comps especially if the clip can play for a different duration everything it's triggered.

Take a look at this video to get a sense of what I'm after: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5pWUx ... GgQtN1s0ew This was created for the overture of the musical Bye Bye Birdie using 13 layers mapped to 11 slices (10 small ones and 1 that covers the whole area for a fade to black on cue) on one projector.

After creating this comp, the one thing I wish I'd had was the ability to exclude a clip out of the random autopilot mode (checkbox?). So for instance, the first clip would play once then trigger any clip in the layer but we'd only see it once when triggering the comp.

skydeck
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by skydeck »

Can a duration be set on (normal video) clips? I have been missing this feature.....

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Video clips are by default the duration of the video but you can adjust the in and out markers to make it shorter.

Stills are 5000 milliseconds by default but you can change the duration to whatever you want which becomes pretty handy when using the auto-pilot feature.

skydeck

Post by skydeck »

Wouldn't it be nice, especially in conjunction with autopilot, to be able to set an optional duration on still clips, too? The clip would then loop for that duration before the next clip is triggered.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

You can set the duration of still clips and it does work with autopilot and the layer transition time.

skydeck

Post by skydeck »

Oh, sorry! I meant video clips, of course!! would like to set the duration on a video, as to have it loop for the set amount of time .... then all clip types would be treated alike. :idea:

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I think I understand what you need. You'd like to set the length of a video to match the duration of clips so that all you clips move at the same time in one column when you use the autopilot, correct?

If that's the case, I do it the other way around. First I set the in and out of my video clip to suit my needs, then infer the length in milliseconds, then set the duration of all the clips in that column to the duration of the video clip so that if I use autopilot to say [Play Next] all clips will be launched at the exact same time.

Is that what you're looking for?