Automatic :30, :20, :10 sec cues

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Supernova
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Automatic :30, :20, :10 sec cues

Post by Supernova »

Hey guys,
Hopefully this wouldn't be hard to implement. I will elaborate a bit if it helps. For me, and others I am sure, during rehearsals it is common for a director to want to jump ahead to the last 30, 20, or 10 seconds of a video to practice staging during the video transitions. Currently these can be set using the built-in manual cue points, but as you can imagine, if the show has 90-300 videos (ect), that is a lot of extra programming. If these cue points were already built in for every clip loaded it would be tremendously helpful.

Thank you!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Automatic :30, :20, :10 sec cues

Post by Zoltán »

how do you usually control resolume?

in midi mapping for example you can map a specific knob to all the layer's playing clip position
different length clips probably wouldn't be in sync when turning the knob, but you could quickly navigate in your clips without having to map the cues individually.
Képernyőfotó 2017-05-04 - 1.29.06.png
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Supernova

Post by Supernova »

Mouse and keyboard. This is an interesting idea if I had a midi controller. I would still appreciate built-in preset cues though.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

if you use your clips in timeline mode you could try to
to map a key to the composition speed control, set it to piano and set range to 1.00 to 10
then you could push the key to fast forward
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Not sure if I understand this feature request fully.

This feature would only appear on clips that are longer than 30 seconds, where the last three cue points would then be set to clip length minus 30, clip length minus 20, and clip length minus 10?

Supernova

Post by Supernova »

Joris wrote:Not sure if I understand this feature request fully.

This feature would only appear on clips that are longer than 30 seconds, where the last three cue points would then be set to clip length minus 30, clip length minus 20, and clip length minus 10?
Right, so if I have a 5 minute video and the director wants to jump to 30 seconds remaining repeatedly for rehearsal, it would be really convenient if that was a standard feature. Manually making the cue once isn't a big deal, but having to do that for a hundred videos becomes very time consuming.
Thanks again! It would be super cool if this could happen.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

If I'm really honest, that feels like a very specific feature, using very arbitrary values. I can see how they would work very well in your workflow, but I can also see the requests coming in for clips shorter than 30 seconds, and for cues at 15 second intervals, and for 60 second intervals, and for more than 3 cues, and for etc etc.

At this point, i don't think the idea is developed enough to make it into a feature request. Perhaps you have some idea on how to make it work for more people across the board?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Joris wrote:At this point, i don't think the idea is developed enough to make it into a feature request. Perhaps you have some idea on how to make it work for more people across the board?
Adding a "relative to" option to the mappings,
which would allow selecting a
"Current value"
"Clip In"
"Clip Out"
for example in context of the playhead position:
if you could select "Relative to clip end" value=-30 sec. that would make your playhead jump to Out point -30 secs.
Setting to "Relative to current position" value=10 sec, pushing the same key would jump forward 10 seconds respectively.
values could be set to % of the value range or discrete value like the 30 seconds.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I like the concept of being able to set cues relative to current value, in and out point!

The ability to do simple math in the playhead/in/out boxes in millisecond or frames would also be a great time saver.

Supernova

Post by Supernova »

Joris wrote:If I'm really honest, that feels like a very specific feature, using very arbitrary values. I can see how they would work very well in your workflow, but I can also see the requests coming in for clips shorter than 30 seconds, and for cues at 15 second intervals, and for 60 second intervals, and for more than 3 cues, and for etc etc.

At this point, i don't think the idea is developed enough to make it into a feature request. Perhaps you have some idea on how to make it work for more people across the board?
Hi, thanks for your reply.
I don't want to come across argumentative, so please forgive me if it comes off that way. The feature I am requesting is already a widely used standard feature in Playback Pro, which is an industry standard simple playback program for live events and corporate video. The way that software handles videos shorter than :30seconds is, any video shorter than :30 will jump to the head of the video when the built-in :30 cue is pressed.
So for example, if a clip is :17 seconds, the "jump to :30 button" would just cue the beginning of the clip, the "jump to :20" would also cue the beginning since the clip is shorter than request, and the "jump to :10" second button would take you to :10 seconds remaining.
I understand that this feature may not be overly useful to VJs, but I know a lot of people are using the software in other situations and may find this feature profoundly useful. I know I would.
Thanks for your consideration.