Laptop DVD Player Support

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
glasshopper
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Laptop DVD Player Support

Post by glasshopper »

I would love to be able to slap a DVD into my laptop DVD drive - and be able to play it with Resolume. Most modern laptops have a DVD player and it seems crazy to me to have to switch to a hardware DVD player during a gig when DVD content is required / or some other kind of hack with a full screen playback from quicktime, vlc or some other media player.

Okay - I know there are different tracks, chapters and other navigation obstacles associated with DVD playback - but a common problem I experience is someone turning up with their own visuals burned onto a single track DVD and i have to find a solution to play it with little or no time.

Bart / Edwin - what do you reckon - is this possible?

hive8
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Laptop DVD Player Support

Post by hive8 »

Did you ever find a resolution for that?
HIVE 8 | Quantum Laser | http://www.hive8.com

Rene

Post by Rene »

If you google "Syphon virtual screen" you might find what you are looking for. As the name already says, it creates an additional virtual screen where VLC can output in fullscreen. The virtual screen can be imported in Resolume via Syphon.

Of course Syphon support for VLC or DVDPlayer would be the better solution ;)

movebandit
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by movebandit »

+1

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

This is not likely to happen. DVD playback is such a bees nest of decompression problems, rights management and additional navigation requirements that we cannot implement this smoothly and intuitively.

As much as we understand the need for a feature like this, this is also a client management issue. If you are clear about communicating your time and compression requirements for 3rd party content, you are not forced to deal with it while you actually should be running a show.

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Most modern laptops actually don't come with a DVD player anymore, well at least Apple thinks you don't need one.

Rene

Post by Rene »

edwin wrote:Most modern laptops actually don't come with a DVD player anymore, well at least Apple thinks you don't need one.
They also think we need a mirror instead of a display, and glue is better than screws... :roll: