Common Layer

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
kmifflin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Common Layer

Post by kmifflin »

On my current tour I have 18 deck that I've organized all of my content. I'm using a layer that has many corporate logo's for the sponsors advertising. It would be great if I could make a layer common across all decks. That way if I add a sponsor logo and make a adjustment, I don't need to copy and paste that across 18 decks

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Common Layer

Post by Basic »

So whichever deck you switch too, you'll have the same logo's etc?

Im digging this, Sometimes when you need a particular clip you have to switch decks and it can be a pain in the area! haha

+1
Resolume Avenue 3.3.3 - MBP i7, 8gb RAM - Snow Leopard (2010). Akai APC20

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

This is a great idea. I can't tell you the amount of time I had two switch back to another decks, because I lost an overlay or a live cam by being a bit too enthusiastic in triggering.

However, it is impossible to trigger a clip in another deck, because the information is not loaded. This is a fundamental part of Resolume, and unfortunately not going to change.

Tecno`

Post by Tecno` »

goto10 wrote:This is a great idea. I can't tell you the amount of time I had two switch back to another decks, because I lost an overlay or a live cam by being a bit too enthusiastic in triggering.
How about the possibility to lock a layer, Something like a padlock icon on the LHS so that a clip in that layer can't be replaced. I realise that this doesn't address the OP's issue but would help those of us that use a constant overlay.

Tim

olivepixel

Post by olivepixel »

goto10 wrote:However, it is impossible to trigger a clip in another deck, because the information is not loaded. This is a fundamental part of Resolume, and unfortunately not going to change.
But a common layer wouldn't require triggering a clip in another deck – the clips would exist (and load) in every deck…

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

True, and if you always used three layers, and would add a fourth one to be a common layer, it would work quite nicely.

When you think of other possible scenarios though, what would happen if you added a common layer, but other decks have content in that layer? And what would happen if you loaded a deck which has content in the common layer? There are a quite a few issues like this, so we need to think of an elegant solution before we can do this.

A layer lock feature would be a lot more feasible in that regard.

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by HerrNieDa »

the common layer should be able to set at least as first or last layer.... and should be extra adressable (so if he's the first layer "under" layer1, layer1 should be still layer1 and not layer2 etc...).

what i also would love to have is extra Column-Settings (like layer and clip), and also the ability to rename the columns!
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

+1 for layerlock...and
+1 for common layer

:roll:
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

olivepixel

Post by olivepixel »

goto10 wrote:True, and if you always used three layers, and would add a fourth one to be a common layer, it would work quite nicely.

When you think of other possible scenarios though, what would happen if you added a common layer, but other decks have content in that layer? And what would happen if you loaded a deck which has content in the common layer? There are a quite a few issues like this, so we need to think of an elegant solution before we can do this.

A layer lock feature would be a lot more feasible in that regard.
I'd have thought that in these cases you'd need to duplicate the content out of the common layer and into the deck (or the other way round).

I expect you'd create the common layer by marking an existing layer as common and that layer would then show up in all the other decks you have. Initially it would show up at the same level as it was created, but there's no reason that it shouldn't be possible to move it up and down in one deck without effecting the others.

Changes made to the common layer in any deck would carry over to the other decks.

A layer lock would also be handy, but I think it's largely a separate issue – and one that's only really needed because there's no undo function...

Roger39
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Roger39 »

Is there no way to rename the column's yet....I run shows where each column is a cue and at the moment I have to stick some tape along the top of the monitor to remind me what's what.... :shock: