seperate timeline (in/out) for audio and video in av clips

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

seperate timeline (in/out) for audio and video in av clips

Post by Rene »

Hello,

yet another request :)

it would be brilliant if it were possible to set in and out points individually for audio and video. So it's possible to adjust the video loop independently of the audio loop.

Maybe a second timeline for both audio and video would allow for much more flexibility (e.g. set video clip to 4 beats in BPM Sync mode and the audio clip to 8 beats.)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: seperate timeline (in/out) for audio and video in av cli

Post by Joris »

This is going to be a terrible job to program, muck up so many things in the workflow (when will the autopilot trigger for a clip like this), as well as be counterintuitive for most users. So no, this will have to be done with two clips.

leolodreamland
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by leolodreamland »

yes i was just on here to ask for the same thing. like ableton, you can unlink the envelope from the midi notes/audio sample. it would be simpler maybe to have the audio or video not have necessarily a separate timeline but just a factor, so it could loop twice, four or half of the other timeline, for instance. as it is, on the fly, it makes it very difficult to add a four second video loop to a minute audio clip, and vice versa.

Rene

Post by Rene »

Thanks for sharing your thought on this, Joris and leolodreamland!

As I just returned from vacation, my reply is a bit delayed, so please don't take this as an indicator for (un)importance of this issue. Also: I had to download 4.1.2 before!
goto10 wrote:when will the autopilot trigger for a clip like this
Let's ask her. ;) Maybe we tell the auto pilot to take either audio or video timeline, or the one which is longer/shorter. But I agree such an extension could raise some other questions. But I really think it's worth discussion it!

The doubling appraoch of leolodreamland would also be okay, but I think it does not solve the open questions, does it?
goto10 wrote:be counterintuitive for most users
I agree on that. For that reason this should be hidden behind some kind of 'advanced timeline setting'. Maybe have one master timeline (equivalent to the timeline now) and two additional sub-timelines for audio and video linked to the master? I'm just thinking loud, not sure if this would work. Or what about grouping of clips?
goto10 wrote:this will have to be done with two clips.
This is not a solution, as it means I have to use the column trigger to start video and audio at the same time. And it also allows for only two clips per column. I think it means I have to prepare the clips before - which takes away the live experience and a lot of flexibility.
goto10 wrote:So no
The last word? :(

So there won't be support in Resolume which allows to create one A/V clip of one long audio snippet and one relatively short video loop?

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Being able to adjust the length of the video that is linked to the audio could be interesting. Also when a video is let's say 1 second and your audio is 10 seconds it would make sense to loop the video ten times instead of slowing down to 10 seconds.
And vice versa when a video loop is 10 seconds and the audio file only 1 it would be handy to select which section of the video to link to the audio.

So it's not a definite no but it's worth figuring out what it is you actually need, two independent timelines doesn't sound like a proper plan though.

Rene

Post by Rene »

edwin wrote:So it's not a definite no but it's worth figuring out what it is you actually need, two independent timelines doesn't sound like a proper plan though.
Great Edwin, thanks for joining this thread! Then let's start to figure out...

I would like to be able to:
  1. adjust the in and out points of the audio and video independently (don't play the first second of a 5 seconds video clip, as it would not loop properly; or just play and loop 5 seconds of a one minute video file; for audio: only play the first 4 beats of a 8 beat long audio clip)
  2. be able to set different playmode for audio and video. (video: toggle <->; audio: loop normal >)
  3. set how often a clip should repeat while the other plays once (however this can be achieved)
  4. set the start point of a loop somewhere between in and out point (right now [LOOP-START] == [LOOP-IN])
    e.g. video set like this: [V-LOOP-IN].v1.v2.v3.v4.v5.[V-LOOP-START].v6.v7.v8.v9.[V-LOOP-OUT]
    audio set like this: [A-LOOP-IN & A-LOOP-START].a1.a2.a3.a4.a5.a6.a7.a8.a9.[A-LOOP-OUT]
    plays like: [A-LOOP-START & V-LOOP-START].a1v6.a2.v7.a3v8.a4v9.[V-LOOP-IN]a5v1.a6v2.a7v3.a8v4.a9v5.[A-LOOP-START & V-LOOP-START]
What do you think?