Bro, does your rig even lift?
romciuz
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Graphics Card setup

Post by romciuz »

Hello All i need a help :)

Cant test so im asking for your help.

Situation is so :

We think to build a system using 14 monitors, 6 monitors must show one Layer, 5 monitors Layer 2, and 3 monitors should show one Screen. Like wall.

Question : which Grapchics card i requare? Our Monitors have only VGA or DVI but im gonna convert them to VIDEO signal from any source

I think to use Asus GTX650TI-DC2O-1GD5 , DVI 1 goes to Layer 1 , DVI 2 goes to Layer 2 , hdmi goes to Matrox tripplehead for making a wall. And vga for main pc monitor.

How do you thinking ?

P.s Urgent.

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Graphics Card setup

Post by HerrNieDa »

should work i think.... depends only on footage and resolution, the graphiccard isn't bad but not the fastest ;)
but i think as long as you don't use 720p or 1080p on each screen it should perform.
the composition may needs only 3 screens if you can map the single monitors from the upperst layers or so ;)

also i don't get your setup, what you mean with convert them to video signal?

for the monitors you should use splitters (vga/dvi)
note that one dvi won't work with vga adapters.... on this dvi i would connect the matrox triple head...
(there is no hdmi-triple head as far as i know, maybe it works with hdmi to dvi adapter but i wouldn't bet on this!)....
the other dvi and hdmi should end in dvi or vga splitters for the other monitors...
for the hdmi you may need a converter to vga/dvi if the adapters won't work (have no experience on this so i don't know if it works ;) )
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

4eyes
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by 4eyes »

When you say that six monitors need to show one layer. Are you saying that it needs to be one super wide image spanned across six monitors? Or that it must be the same image duplicated across six monitors.

If you're duplicating just get some 6x or 8x DVI Distribution Amplifiers. If you're trying to span... better put on a pot of coffee.

As far as your gpu is concerned, get an EVGA GTX 680 and never look back. I had one set up the other day driving 4x 1920x1080 outputs. Was able to play back four layers at that size at 30 fps. Could get better frame rates with smaller content.

That way they are also all digital. Because c'mon, vga is for europeans.

P.s Bagels.

romciuz
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by romciuz »

Well,
These lcd's are just hanging on the side wall
So these are just for video clips not hd content
, saying about video i was thinking about converter
From dvi to video ( analog throug rca). Yes mine 6 screens will
show same clip from layer 1. Other 5 lcd's from layer 2.
Reason why im converting to analog video its just becouse
Lcd are hanging in defferent locations, and its more easyer
To connect them with rca plugs ;)
Why u think i cant use these 2 dvi d connectons for same thing? They are equal
Thats way im schoosing this king of card. Others have dvi i and so on. I cant find
Same config with displayport, it would be easier to connect to tripplehead, but here
I think i just gonna use hdmi to display port or hdmi to dvi for matrox

My main setup for main sreen 3x4 nec un461 will be retina mbp :) and
Touchscreen :)

dbassix

Post by dbassix »

For a professional setup and/or installation i would recommend you building 3 independent (and smaler/cheaper) systems. This might make life easier. I have made a lot of installations so far and when displaying different content on different screens i always choose the way of separate systems.

And why converting vga/dvi to fbas video? Even if the displays are in other rooms you have to get there with your bnc cable, and a vga cable is not that much thicker.
Better spend the money in a vga cable and splitters then in the scanconverters. Downscaling vga to fbas always looks like crap even if your on professional equipment like imagepro or usp.

Tecno`

Post by Tecno` »

4eyes wrote: That way they are also all digital. Because c'mon, vga is for europeans.
Just out of interest, how do you deal with long DVI runs and the EDID management when running through any converters / splitters etc?

I find VGA or RGBHV to be much more reliable and easy to manage for long runs.

It may be that HDSDI is the best option for the future but that is serious money for all the converters.

Tim

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by HerrNieDa »

romciuz wrote: Why u think i cant use these 2 dvi d connectons for same thing? They are equal
I don't think so, i know it, cause i tested it! ;)
i also got an gtx 650ti, the 2 ports look the same, but only 1 port works with vga.
maybe you can make a test but i'm afraid there won't be any other result ;)
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

4eyes

Post by 4eyes »

HerrNieDa is correct. On the Kepler series GTX 650/660/680 cards only one of the the dvi ports supports vga. The other one is DVI-D only.

Tecno, we mostly use SC-SC optical fiber for any run greater that 25ft. Have also used 600ft of HD-SDI using and Imagepro at either end and a reclocking DA at the break in the middle of the two 300ft pieces.

Edid management? Gefen Dvi Detectives dawg! One on every output that is getting shot out over fiber or HD-SDI.

But yes, all those extenders are expensivo! :o

Alas that is the cost of a completely digital signal chain. But dayum it always looks good!