Live Streaming - Cameras

Bro, does your rig even lift?
nomeencuentro
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Live Streaming - Cameras

Post by nomeencuentro »

Hello

I would like to connecct a GoPro or another DSLR or just a webcam into Resolume to stream live video from the party/action place.

I have already tried with 2 webcams and it worked quitely good but with a short cable.

I have been reading many forums. And I saw some options using GoPro, BlackMagic connection.

What would be the best option?
- Should I just buy USB cable to extend the webcams?
- Should I buy a Blackmagic to connect via HDMI the GoPro?
- For what is needed the Blackmagic?
- What could the best?

Thanks

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Live Streaming - Cameras

Post by Oaktown »

- Should I just buy USB cable to extend the webcams?
Are they USB2 or USB3?
- Should I buy a Blackmagic to connect via HDMI the GoPro?
Blackmagic Design (BMD) is a brand so you'll have to choose the right combination of products but to give you a sense a typical setup to extend 100ft will cost anywhere between $700-$1,000 including the cable and you can only extend broadcast resolutions.
- For what is needed the Blackmagic?
You'll need a powered sender (HDMI to SDI in your case), a 3G-SDI cable (RG6 or RG59 75ohm coax with BNC connectors) and a powered receiver (probably SDI to HDMI). BMD also makes battery operated HDMI to SDI converters.
- What could the best?
It really depends of what you're after!

You might also want to consider the following options:
- Long HDMI cable. I use 50 and 100ft HDMI cables on many projects and if you buy the right kind it works fine. 100ft HDMI cable have a signal booster so they only work in one direction and they can be finicky.
- HDMI over CAT5e/6. If you can find one, here is a good one: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8081. As a note, there is a lot available out there but not everything works great!

and also:
- HDMI over fiber optic
- HDMI wireless extenders.

nomeencuentro

Post by nomeencuentro »

Hello thanks for your quick reply.

I have a pretty new Macbook Pro including video graphic card NVIDIA. USB 3.0

What do you feel would be the best configuration I could prepare to bring streaming into my Resolume projection?
-GOPROs would be better than webcams?
-Or any other camera?
-What would I need to connect a couple to my Macbook pro?

Thanks

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I'd try the GoPro with a HDMI cable up to 100ft but you'll need a capture card. If you have a spare Thunderbolt port BMD make the UltraStudio MiniRecorder that works like a champ for both HDMI and HD-SDI.

I've used that setup on theatrical shows and it works great if you've got the right HDMI cable.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

If your application can tolerate a few frames lag, you could try IP cameras with IpCam2Syphon, which could work over Wi-Fi too.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

nomeencuentro

Post by nomeencuentro »

Thanks for your information!

What about just using webcams with extended USB cables?

nomeencuentro

Post by nomeencuentro »

Oaktown wrote:I'd try the GoPro with a HDMI cable up to 100ft but you'll need a capture card. If you have a spare Thunderbolt port BMD make the UltraStudio MiniRecorder that works like a champ for both HDMI and HD-SDI. .
Hi! Why not directly the HDMI cable to the HDMI port in MacBookPro?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

HDMI port on your MBP is an output not an input.

Are your webcams USB2 or 3?

nomeencuentro

Post by nomeencuentro »

Oaktown wrote:Are your webcams USB2 or 3?
Actually, I havent bought any yet. But I found a cheap ones (just to try) with USB 2.0.
Shoudl I give a try or directly prepare the Kit: GoPro2 (i have it already) + BlackMagib + HDMI Cable + Thunderbol cable?

I see just one problem, I would use my 2 Thunderbol cable for 2 projectors... so I would have only USB port free.

Your last recommendation?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Actually, I havent bought any yet. But I found a cheap ones (just to try) with USB 2.0.
Then why don't you test with a USB2 camera and an active extender cable (up to 50ft) to see if it works for you. The only catch is that if the camera is getting power from the USB port I don't know whether these cables will pass enough power.
Shoudl I give a try or directly prepare the Kit: GoPro2 (i have it already) + BlackMagib + HDMI Cable + Thunderbol cable?
If you can afford it, the results will be far superior then a webcam.
I see just one problem, I would use my 2 Thunderbol cable for 2 projectors... so I would have only USB port free.
You could: